• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herp IDs - northern Greece (1 Viewer)

rlchew

Richard Chew
I am hoping that someone can kindly help me with the identification of several species of herps.

I am primarily a birdwatcher and I do not have much difficulty with bird IDs (he says confidently!).

However, I visited the far north of Greece (from Prespa Lakes via Lake Kerkini to Evros Delta) in May of this year and amongst a huge trip list (birds), I saw several different species of snake, frog, terrapin and lizard which I am having difficulty identifying despite buying the Collins Field Guide to the Reptiles and Amphibians of Europe.

Unfortunately I did not manage any photos of the snakes so they will probably go unidentified. However, one species that I saw more than once was a green/olive colour above with a lighter pattern below plus they were large. I also saw a swimming snake species at Lake Kerkini which was not a Grass Snake which I am familiar with. Any ideas given my very limited (pathetic!) descriptions?

I was able to photograph some frogs and lizards plus tortoise and terrapin species which hopefully someone can identify for me.

There will be some more to follow ....

Attachments

• DSC_0095 copy.jpg
    DSC_0095 copy.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_0097 copy.jpg
    DSC_0097 copy.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0298 copy.jpg
    DSC_0298 copy.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0302 copy.jpg
    DSC_0302 copy.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_0450 copy.jpg
    DSC_0450 copy.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 62
And some more ....

Attachments

• DSC_0563 copy.jpg
    DSC_0563 copy.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_0597 copy.jpg
    DSC_0597 copy.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_0600 copy.jpg
    DSC_0600 copy.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0611 copy.jpg
    DSC_0611 copy.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0617 copy.jpg
    DSC_0617 copy.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 68
The Tortoise should be Hermann's I think.

Terrapin is European Pond Terrapin.

Pics 3 and 5 in 2nd post look like Common / Viviparous Lizard.

Pics 2 and 4 look like Italian Wall Lizard.

Frogs are hard, possibly Common and Pool Frog.

Andy

Last edited:
1st uploads from left:
Testudo graeca ibera - Moorish tortoise
Testudo hermanni boettgeri - Hermann's tortoise
frogs: Pelophylax ridibundus - Marsh frog
Emys orbicularis - pond turtle
2nd uploads from left and 3rd:
Testudo hermanni boettgeri
all lizards probably Podarcis muralis - wall lizard (hard to say by these pics, maybe erhardii)

Mario

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back