• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Places for bird watching in Victoria (1 Viewer)

luckycoffeebean

Hi, does anyone know any good places to birdwatch in the dandenong ranges or knox/ferntree gully area in Victoria? I can't travel far, and would love to see some new birds...I also do photography so getting some photo opportunities is great. These are the birds I get to see on a regular basis (I'm new to birding so the list is short): red wattle bird, grey butcherbird, kookaburra, magpie, rosella, king parrot, cockatoo, and currawong...I think that covers it. Thanks.

Hi again LCB

We have an article in The Opus covering the Dandenongs, which I hope will prove of interest and maybe you'll be able to add more information to it when you discover more.

There is a link at the bottom for more general information about Victoria too.

Hi again LCB

We have an article in The Opus covering the Dandenongs, which I hope will prove of interest and maybe you'll be able to add more information to it when you discover more.

There is a link at the bottom for more general information about Victoria too.

Hey, thanks. I wasn't aware there was so much variety to see here. I've been to grants picnic grounds in Sherbrooke but haven't explored it fully (just been to the cafe area) I think there is a path to walk but I'm not sure how long it is. Maybe I should try that.

Hi Luckycoffeebean

In the Knox area there are parks that can be good to the west side of Eastlink, along the Dandenong Creek. The newish Melbourne Water wetlands behind the service centre (Dandenong Valley Wetlands) can be very good, and the quieter parks like Shepherds Bush, Koomba and Bushy Park are also good (Jells Park tends to be a bit busy, but there is a quieter area behind a gated fence in the north east corner that can be good)

In the Dandenongs Grants is as good a place as any, and there are short loops near the coffee shop. I've seen Lyrebird when walking up to 1000 Steps, and White-throated Needletail at the top of the steps at the One-Tree Hill carpark.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back