• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Afghanistan warbler (1 Viewer)

Any thoughts on this bird. Had identified as Sykes's Warbler, but lingering doubts...

Attachments

• A_1.jpg
    A_1.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 217
  • B_2.jpg
    B_2.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 204
I've never seen Sykes', but comparing your photos to the illustration and description in my Collins it seems to tick the boxes, (bill, overall colour, no super behind the eye, short primary proj, etc etc.) Better wait for a second opinion though!

Hi,
it is a Blyth's Reed Warbler.
The head pattern is too striking for a Sykes's, the alula is pale brown (like the rest of the plumage) and the iris is paler than the pupil.

In both photos we are looking at the upperside of the tail, so how could you possibly judge the length of the undertail coverts?

Yes, Blyth's Reed. One good character separating Blyth's Reed from Sykes's is that the latter has more distinct pale fringes on greater coverts, tertials and secondaries. Of course, it can be Large-billed Reed Warbler...

Thanks all.

Photo c of same bird partly shows undertail-coverts.

Birds d and e are of a different individual: is this good for Sykes's? Also taken in central Kabul in August.

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 89
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 116
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    653.7 KB · Views: 99
Mark,

I am intrigued about your view on the first bird. I have just read an article of yours where you name Blyth's reed warbler among the 4 common birds in Kabul. So what made you think this one might be different?

Rob

Mark,

I am intrigued about your view on the first bird. I have just read an article of yours where you name Blyth's reed warbler among the 4 common birds in Kabul. So what made you think this one might be different?

Rob

It was the first bird I'd seen in autumn and was a worn, bleached adult, so looked very different to the spring birds.

Thanks all.

Photo c of same bird partly shows undertail-coverts.

Birds d and e are of a different individual: is this good for Sykes's? Also taken in central Kabul in August.

Tricky to say, but birds d & e look promising for Sykes's. The plumage looks overall very pale, the bill looks long and spikey without a dark tip, and the supercilium looks stronger in front of the eye and minimal behind it.

Any other photos showing tertials and primaries?

These may help, though all very poor shots. The first appears to show a newly moulted, darker tertial. I trapped several Blyth's Reed Warblers in autumn and none had any moult of the remiges.

The "milky tea" colour is genuine, not an artifact of light conditions.

NB this bird was photographed in August 2013, the previous birds in 2014. But I'm sure they show the same species and "d" and "e" of my earlier post.

Attachments

• 043ts.jpg
    043ts.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 67
  • 021ts.jpg
    021ts.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 053tsa.jpg
    053tsa.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 060ts.jpg
    060ts.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 250ts.jpg
    250ts.jpg
    765.3 KB · Views: 48
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back