• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Semicollared Flycather ? (1 Viewer)

osprey0311

Hi to all!
Could it be Semicollared Flycather? Photos were made at August, Eastern Ukraine.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9154.JPG
    IMG_9154.JPG
    643.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_9158.JPG
    IMG_9158.JPG
    761.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_9159.JPG
    IMG_9159.JPG
    548 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9160.JPG
    IMG_9160.JPG
    572.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9164.JPG
    IMG_9164.JPG
    562.9 KB · Views: 136
This is a bird that in my opinion deserves more attention. I have no experience with Semicolared, but comparing marks in Svensson, it seems to give a mixed impression between Semicolared and Pied (which would obviously be the conservative choice in Ukraine).

edit: on a second thought, isn't it 1st winter Collared? It has the second white band, the extensive white - the only thing that doesn't match well is then the tail.

Last edited:
Hello there,
When faced with a female-type 'black and white' Ficedula flycatcher in autumn, a necessary first step is to age the bird. In this instance, the shape of the dark tertial centres, with obvious 'steps', is characteristic of retained juvenile feathers, making this bird a 1st-winter. Accordingly, the presence of a median covert wingbar, so indicative of adult female Semicollared, is of no real consequence here, as Pied, Collared and Semicollared can all show median covert wingbars in this plumage. In my experience, it isn't too rare in 1st-w Pieds, for example. The size of the patch at the primary bases, and the extent of the patch, doesn't exclude Collared, in theory at least, but it seems to fall outside of the range of identifiable Collared and well within normal variation shown by Pied. That said, many 1st-winter birds are very tricky, and perhaps even unsafe to identify with certainty, but I have certainly seen images of 1st-winter Collareds with larger patches than shown by this bird (have only seen spring Collared, males and females, so I admit my experience of them in 1st-w plumage is limited to research in field guides and from pics in books and online). So, I'd call this a probable 1st-w Pied Flycatcher with the proviso that, without genetic data and/or calls being recorded, an element of doubt may well exist.
Regards,
Harry

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back