• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of Raptor/Vulture (maybe Cape Vulture?) Eswatini (1 Viewer)

JarJar

Hi everybody,

is it possible to ID this raptor? Could it be a Cape Vulture?

Seen in Eswatini, Mlawula, Mlawula Nature Reserve, 23. August 2023

Thanks a lot!
Christoph

Attachments

• IMG_3586.jpg
    IMG_3586.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3590.jpg
    IMG_3590.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3591.jpg
    IMG_3591.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 79
Palm-nut vulture (thus not a vulture). Adult. Note deep weird bill, reddish face, largely whitish primaries.
In Eswatini? Don't think that's within their range- I've doubled checked on e-bird doesn't seem to be any reports from there either.

I think the positioning of the wings on image 2 and 3 is giving vibes of a palm nut vulture- however in image 1 you can see that head doesn't extend as far out as it seems in the other images. Seems great for a immature martial eagle- contrasting paleness of underside compared to the darker secondaries and primaries- as well the pale inner primaries. Also seems to show some faint barring on the primaries and secondaries however the image is quite bad.

Possibly the dark masking around the eye makes it seem as if it has an eye patch, though from looking through my guide and also using internet images- I would assume that's this is the result of the rather dark shading that immature martial eagles have around their eyes. Range is also factor- doesn't seem to be within range for the palm-nut vulture and the area also lacks reports of the vulture.

Range is also factor- doesn't seem to be within range for the palm-nut vulture and the area also lacks reports of the vulture.
A factor, but I wouldn't pay too much attention to the lack of ebird records - Palmnut breeds not far east of Eswatini and the species is highly prone to wandering. I have seen one on the very end of the Cape of Good Hope.

Dear all, thanks a lot for your reply an discussion! I didn't expect so many answers... unfortunaly I didn´t receive a mail when someone answer (my fault)
So first - the time - it was very late when I took the picture (nearly 5 P.M.) so it was getting dark. I will add more pictures - maybe they help to ID the bird. (they are not realy better - sorry...)

Attachments

• IMG_3585.jpg
    IMG_3585.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3589.jpg
    IMG_3589.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3592.jpg
    IMG_3592.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back