• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

travel bird book and Slovenia/Croatia tips (1 Viewer)

Jeff B

Hi--I'm a very casual birder. I'm appreciate a suggestion on what bird ID book to get for a trip to Slovenia and N Croatia (not too big and heavy--a practical travel book).

Also, I'd welcome any tips on specific birding places to go in August, particularly places that are also generally good for family travel. I expect we will go to Ljubljana, Maribor, Istria, and the Slovenian Alps. Also considering going to some other nearby places in Croatia.

I'd also appreciate any ideas on places to stay, esp in the mountains (preferable casual, cozy, family places with kitchen).

thanks!

I suggest using the standard "Western Palearctic" field guide (which means Europe+Middle East). It is the same size as American field guides. Stay away from "Birds of Britain and Ireland" versions as you will certainly see many Mediterranean species not included in the British version.

Before your trip, practice recognizing European species at the site http://www.birdid.no/bird/index.php (go to training quiz and choose Slovenia or Croatia as country of choice)

Since the countries joined the European Union, "ecotourism" increased in form of accomodation in village houses and meals prepared by the hosts. Local cuisine is likely to include large portions of mouthwatering calorie-rich dishes, so don't plan losing any weight on the trip :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back