• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upcoming trip to Egypt, asking for advices.... (1 Viewer)

nofair

Australia
Hey everyone, I'm gearing up for an upcoming trip to Egypt - it's going to be my first time there and I'm really pumped! I'll be based in Cairo and Luxor for parts of the trip. For those who have visited these areas before, can you recommend some top sights, activities, or lesser known places I should check out? I'd also love to learn about local specialties to try for food. On my downtime, I'd like to do some birdwatching too - are there any good spots for that near the cities? And does anyone have recommendations for reliable local guides they've used before? Any other tips you can provide would be greatly appreciated as I start planning my itinerary. Egypt seems like such a fascinating country and I want to make the most of my visit. Thank you in advance for the advice!

The sights part is easy - the Egypt Lonely Planet is (or at least the edition 15 years ago was) above average for the series and we were entertained for days just following its recommendations. Pyramida in Giza are cool (despite what everyone says), the older one in Saqqara less giant but less crowded. In Cairo itself, the quarter that's a cemetery and the Islamic quarter were the most interesting. In Luxor, we just walked the big circle on the western bank, with Hashtepsut, valley of kings and all the usual. Probably less pleasant in summer though, it was already hot in December ... Then Carnac and Luxor temples. You really can't go wrong with the main sights in Egypt.

For birding, Egypt is a bit frustrating - it's a police country and particularly foreigners are heavily restricted from moving around on their own and this has only gotten worse recently. Also note you may get binoculars and cameras confiscated at the airport and kept there until departure - it's not a rule, but it repeatedly happens to people.

The sights part is easy - the Egypt Lonely Planet is (or at least the edition 15 years ago was) above average for the series and we were entertained for days just following its recommendations. Pyramida in Giza are cool (despite what everyone says), the older one in Saqqara less giant but less crowded. In Cairo itself, the quarter that's a cemetery and the Islamic quarter were the most interesting. In Luxor, we just walked the big circle on the western bank, with Hashtepsut, valley of kings and all the usual. Probably less pleasant in summer though, it was already hot in December ... Then Carnac and Luxor temples. You really can't go wrong with the main sights in Egypt.

For birding, Egypt is a bit frustrating - it's a police country and particularly foreigners are heavily restricted from moving around on their own and this has only gotten worse recently. Also note you may get binoculars and cameras confiscated at the airport and kept there until departure - it's not a rule, but it repeatedly happens to people.
You really had great experience during your trip. love it! Is Egypt lonely planet a local guide? and about the birding site that's really frustrating to hear, will it be okay if I can buy some binoculars there instead? any places I can buy one? Just incase because It would be a waste if they just confiscated it in the airport.

You really had great experience during your trip. love it! Is Egypt lonely planet a local guide? and about the birding site that's really frustrating to hear, will it be okay if I can buy some binoculars there instead? any places I can buy one? Just incase because It would be a waste if they just confiscated it in the airport.
With regards to binoculars and cameras etc I have a bit of advice, I worked in Egypt a few years ago and some of my colleagues had their optics confiscated while I was lucky and didn't. What we found was if you dressed like a tourist (I was wearing board shorts and flip flops) they didn't check your bags but if you dressed like a birder they were suspicious that you were a journalist and thats why the equipment was taken. It has been a few years so this may be outdated now but was definitely a trend back then as we went in and out of the country

We also found that in Marsa Alam, they checked absolutely nothing :) Maybe it's worth coming with a "beach charter" kind of plane. But some friends of mine had problems in Hurghada I think?

I have no idea where to get board shorts and flip flops!

With regards to binoculars and cameras etc I have a bit of advice, I worked in Egypt a few years ago and some of my colleagues had their optics confiscated while I was lucky and didn't. What we found was if you dressed like a tourist (I was wearing board shorts and flip flops) they didn't check your bags but if you dressed like a birder they were suspicious that you were a journalist and thats why the equipment was taken. It has been a few years so this may be outdated now but was definitely a trend back then as we went in and out of the country
that sound bad that they confiscated those.. are all of the areas for birder or only there are specific places that you can use it? and also read from this blog https://gowithguide.com/blog/egypt-tourism-statistics-2023-all-you-need-to-know-5312 about the do's and don'ts and read that it is not allowed to bring drone? I was planning to bring one.. but i think it's safer not to.

But, thank you for your inputs! I surely just dress up as a tourist.

We also found that in Marsa Alam, they checked absolutely nothing :) Maybe it's worth coming with a "beach charter" kind of plane. But some friends of mine had problems in Hurghada I think?

I have no idea where to get board shorts and flip flops!
so it will really depends on the places and the person checking it?

Had no problems with moving around freely on our trips to Egypt, or having equipment confiscated.
Top tip: if you're visiting a dodgy country have a birdwatching book handy to show the authorities at the airport that you're visiting to birdwatch.

When we were in Luxor (April 2022) we did a felucca ride on the Nile in the evening which was a great birding opportunity.

On the topic of binoculars- there are also checkpoints at the main tourist sites as well. Often nothing is actually checked but at Giza my binoculars were confiscated (thankfully recovered by my guide) so I would second bringing a bird book to help explain why you have them, and perhaps don’t take them to Giza.

Hope you have a great trip!

Personally I think the risk to your kit is at the level where the thing to do is cancel the trip and write to the Egyptian Embassy explaining why you've rejected Egypt as a destination. Or give up on birding there, leave your gear at home and just do the tourist things, which I concede are attractive.

John

Amazon.co.uk (There's probably an Australian site for Amazon, other sellers exist ... )

If your binoculars are expensive may be worth getting a pair of cheap bins for travel purposes.

I have lived in Egypt for 20 years and started birding around 2019. I don't think it is possible to buy binoculars here. They may appear on Amazon Egypt but doubtful they are in the country. Resident friends have returned from a trip to the UK with binoculars and were stopped but they argued the case and said it is ridiculous as they are just interested in birds. They were waved through. As mentioned above have a bird guide book with you.

There are not many birdwatchers in Egypt so security do not even think about that. If ever I get stopped I show the photos on my camera.

In Luxor, I stayed at the Jolie Ville Hotel on an island surrounded by the River Nile with a beautiful backwater. It was stunning. I went out on a local fishing canoe exploring the reed beds.

I live in El Gouna on the Red Sea Coast which is right on the African Eurasian flyway. 500 Steppe Buzzards over my roof terrace this morning.

Check eBird Hotspots for good places to go birding in Egypt.

And this year, the Galala Raptor Observatory close to Suez is the project chosen by Birdlife International and Global Birdfair to receive the funds from the ticket sales in July in Rutland. Egypt is getting more and more environmentally aware by the day.

I have lived in Egypt for 20 years and started birding around 2019. I don't think it is possible to buy binoculars here. They may appear on Amazon Egypt but doubtful they are in the country. Resident friends have returned from a trip to the UK with binoculars and were stopped but they argued the case and said it is ridiculous as they are just interested in birds. They were waved through. As mentioned above have a bird guide book with you.

There are not many birdwatchers in Egypt so security do not even think about that. If ever I get stopped I show the photos on my camera.

In Luxor, I stayed at the Jolie Ville Hotel on an island surrounded by the River Nile with a beautiful backwater. It was stunning. I went out on a local fishing canoe exploring the reed beds.

I live in El Gouna on the Red Sea Coast which is right on the African Eurasian flyway. 500 Steppe Buzzards over my roof terrace this morning.

Check eBird Hotspots for good places to go birding in Egypt.

And this year, the Galala Raptor Observatory close to Suez is the project chosen by Birdlife International and Global Birdfair to receive the funds from the ticket sales in July in Rutland. Egypt is getting more and more environmentally aware by the day.
I stay in El Gouna in 2006 and had no problems walking round with my bins and scope,obviously things have change since then was due to go to Hurghada last year but cancelled once I heard about the new restrictions with optics shame was looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back