• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bindweed (1 Viewer)

Funky

I was at Blacktoft Sands yesterday and had an in depth discussion about the effects of bindweed on the reed-beds. It appears that the warblers which breed in the willow shrubs like the scrub which is left after the bindweed has done its worst. The reason it has taken over is that lots of willow shrubs were planted and this has leached all the water out of the area so the weed thrived. It can be seen across the reserve but only on raised ground away from the water. It appears the EX-manager was to blame for all manner of stupid and also illegal decisions in running the place over many years, most of which can't easily be put right. He's gone now thankfully, so the reserve can only improve from now on. I suggested the reclaiming of the land and a sowing of seed bearing grasses for the small winter feeders. It was noted but would take a huge effort. It still looks a mess at this time of year though when it should be at its most beautiful. Rosebay willow-herb also has its roots firmly established in the same area, a plant which IMO is ugly and very messy filling the air with fluff. Still, its all nature and in the bigger scheme of things I guess 'its all good'.
Does anyone else have a tail to tell of some inadequacy at a reserve they visit. Something which really gets up your nose? Please tell us. :bounce:

Gripe about reserves

I have the Cowpen Bewley Wildlife Park close to where I live. It is right on the edge of the town and attracts a fair number of visitors. As a reserve it has only been on the go for about five years and already shows good reeeults. The wardens have done a marvellous job in developing the site from what used to be an old brick works and then rubbish tip.
My gripe is simply that access is granted to people walkng their dogs. Firstly from the point of view of the 'mess' they leave, which is terrible in the first 200 yards from leaving the car park. A token effort has been made with a 'doggie bin' being provided, which has had marginal results.
Secondly is the disturbance on the wildlife, especially at the large pond. The dogs run freely over the site and occasionally end up in the pond upsetting the bird population, which normally attracts a very good range of ducks and wildlife.
Whilst I like dogs, I do not believe a nature reserve that has had thousands of pounds thrown at it in order to attract wildlife, should really be shooting itself in the foot by granting access to people walking their dogs.

I absolutely agree with you on that one Ian, as you know I've got dogs myself, would never dream of taking them into a reserve!! There are plenty of places to walk dogs without having to use places such as these.

El Annie

PS I always clean up after my dogs and get really miffed at the irresponsible owners that don't and I have to say in my experience it's the fellas that leave it, usually with dog off lead and owner walking some distance away trying to look as if it's not their dog!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back