• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby bird - Greenhouse warning. (1 Viewer)

BazR

bazr
Hi All.
Just a seasonal reminder for all greenhouse owners. I closed my greenhouse last evening quite early so as to retain some of the days warmth. This morning, when opening, I found, a few days old, tailless Blackbird chirping away. It had oviously missed out on some evening and early morning feeding. I put it out in the garden, after delighting my grandson with a close up view, and a gentle stroke. Within half-an-hour it had joined up with a sibling, but the sibling seemed to be a bit more robust than it. Possibly the missed feeds were having a slight effect.
I write this some one hour later, and there has been no sign of mum or dad. I'm sure they will appear to feed them, unless of course they have met with misfortune.

All the best.

Baz.

Hi Baz, Would there be any mileage in putting some water soaked sultanas out, then if mum or dad are around the chick will get a pick me up and rehydration?

Hi Charlie.
It's worth a try, I would have thought that worms would do the same, but belt-and-braces never hurt.

All the best.
Baz.

Thanks for the reminder Baz as I had 2 deaths last year due to my negligence with the greenhouse door! :-C
Tis too cold to have the door open here today though!! ;)
Hope your Blackie finds it's Mum soon!
Best wishes,

Thanks Baz for the reminder, I remember it happening to Ruth last year. You have some very early chicks round your way. Blackies here are still collecting nesting material. I hope your young chick will been reunited with its Mum soon.
Best wishes,

Thanks for the reminder Baz...and I do hope your young Blackbird finds it's mum and Dad....please keep us posted if you can :hi:

Hi Baz,
Good job you found him today, fingers crossed.
I dont have a greenhouse, but your thread is a good reminder for people that do, may be worth posting on the main board as well.
Thanks Baz

Hi Baz,
Always good to have these reminders. Forgive me for hijacking your thread Baz, but may I also add a reminder of my own?
Please store watering cans upside down in your shed, as last year I had a Wood Mouse die in one of mine when he got in but couldn't get out again.
Anyone else got any more tips on the "Health and Safety" of our feathered friends and other wildlife??
Hope your Baby Blackie is OK, and Mum/Dad return to feed him. I have Blackies gathering food and taking it away, so I'm hoping for babies of my own soon.
All the Best Baz,

Hi Baz,

Good reminder, life is full of enough hazards for young birds without us adding to them.

It's been said on here before but it bears repeating. Please cut through the plastic and metal rings from pull-offs (cans, Tetra-paks, etc), they can be lethal.

Bill.

Hi Baz,

It's good to be reminded of such things your warning too Bill as it helps keep us mindful each time we close up out there, be it greenhouses or sheds. I recall a similar instance with a Bird in Bill's shed some years ago on the Beeb boards.

I hope you see your Blackie looking fine again in the morning Baz.

Love, Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back