• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Vireo? Billings, MT, USA (1 Viewer)

janinmt

I took these in my back yard this morning, 5-24-16, in Billings, MT, USA. I just don't see the Red-eyed Vireo bill or head shape, but the eye seems brownish red. The gray legs looks like a vireo instead of a Tennessee Warbler, which Sibley's show as a dark brown or black color. Warbling Vireo looks better for the bill and head, but the eye color is throwing me. Did not sing. Not the best photos, sorry.

Thanks!

Jan in Montana

Attachments

• 2016 5 May 24 Red-eyed Vireo (2)a.JPG
    2016 5 May 24 Red-eyed Vireo (2)a.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 2016 5 May 24 Red-eyed Vireo (3)a.JPG
    2016 5 May 24 Red-eyed Vireo (3)a.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 36
That's what I thought, but the bill just didn't look right. Could just be the angle &/or out of focus photos. Thanks!

Jan

The angle in the second picture makes the bill look small, but it's clearly a vireo's bill in the first shot.

Red-eyed for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back