• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identifying birds and this finch - Southern Utah, USA (1 Viewer)

MattDinUtah

United States
I'm a brand new birder, aside from being curious in the past and looking something specific up I've never done any birding before I started taking photos of them about six weeks ago. I have the National Geographic Guide to Western Birds of North America and have been using it to try and identify the birds I see in my backyard.

In looking at a bird recently I noticed a discrepancy, at least to my eyes, in what the guild was telling me and what I was seeing. I'm wrestling with the differences between a house finch and Cassin's finch (I believe this bird to be a finch, just trying to determine which one). For the male house finch, my guide says that the house finch can have red, orange or occasional yellow coloring, brownish streaked flanks and a blocked off tail. Cassin's finch has long bill with a straight culmen, red and pale pink coloring with fine streaks on the flanks and a strongly notched tail.

The picture I included here is of what I think is a house finch, his beak is not long (to my eyes anyway), he has pink, orange and yellow coloring, his flank streaks are not fine (again, to my eye), though his tail is notched.

Unknown Finch 20210801-3.jpg

My bigger question is when evaluating a bird are there certain characteristics that weigh more heavily in that evaluation? For example, is the bill most important or the coloring or the tail shape or is it a combination driven by experience and looking at thousands of birds that give one the ability to figure it out? Just trying to wrap my head around how I need to start learning how to differentiate different birds that look very similar to me.

I took the above picture this morning, August 1, 2021, in Kanab, Utah.

In the particular case of house/purple/Cassin's finches, bill-shape is important, often overwhelmingly so. This one looks ok for house finch for reasons you've given (and plumage features also fit, especially dull face-pattern).
In general, if bill-shape is a significant criterion for the species you're considering, it's a good one to rate as being of high importance because it may be less prone to variability (and bill-shape is the first thing you should look at when faced with an unfamiliar bird).
Notch/fork/whatever in tail-tip is NOT a good one to latch on to - it varies widely - mostly I just ignore it.
Also in general, there are NO hard-and-fast rules about this sort of thing! As you suggest, it's something you get more of a feel for as you learn more and get more experience.
I'm glad you've got a decent field guide - this is the first total essential (though Sibley is better). You don't actually mention the second essential (barely less essential), which I hope is because you thought it too obvious to mention... binoculars - far far (far) more valuable than camera+telephoto if your aim is to learn bird ID.

At this time of year many birds are molting and may have a mixture of old and new feathers, as is the case for this House Finch. Even the best field guides can fail you under these conditions. Things will get easier as we move into autumn and plumages stabilize more. If there is a local bird group in your area that has field trips, that can be a good way to help learn bird identification.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back