• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two cream-colored Passerines, Lesvos, Greece (1 Viewer)

Maturin

I spotted these birds in a shrub near Megalochori (southern part of Lesvos, Greece) in late July. To be honest I wasn't aware that there were two birds until I looked at my Photos.

My guesses are below (Highlight to see the text) but I'm not 100% sure about ruling out other warblers.
1. Common Nightingale
2. Garden Warbler?

Thanks for any useful advice!

Attachments

• Bird1.jpg
    Bird1.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Bird2.jpg
    Bird2.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 123
Thank you for the fast reply!

Should be a juvenile Subalpine then. Which of the features did lead you to this conclusion and how are other possible warblers ruled out?

I'm not an expert, but the following features shown in your photos help exclude other sylvia's;
- washed out appearance. Pale grey above, whitish throat, breast and chest with peachy suffusion to flanks. Overall tone is too light for Sardinian and Ruppell's warbler
- largely dark centered tertials with pale fringes (rules out whitethroat)
- pale eye ring (rules out Ruppell's)
- Culmen not curved to extent of Ruppell's
- hint of pale sub-moustacial stripe (particularly evident in bottom row centre and right image)
- to my eyes, tail appears concolourous with mantle and not black (rules out Menetries which is also mega rare in Greece)

Hope this helps.

I'm not an expert, but the following features shown in your photos help exclude other sylvia's;
- washed out appearance. Pale grey above, whitish throat, breast and chest with peachy suffusion to flanks. Overall tone is too light for Sardinian and Ruppell's warbler
- largely dark centered tertials with pale fringes (rules out whitethroat)
- pale eye ring (rules out Ruppell's)
- Culmen not curved to extent of Ruppell's
- hint of pale sub-moustacial stripe (particularly evident in bottom row centre and right image)
- to my eyes, tail appears concolourous with mantle and not black (rules out Menetries which is also mega rare in Greece)

Hope this helps.

Thanks again - the descriptions made things a bit clearer. I saw a pair of adult Subalpine Warblers nearby and with the described features the determination seems very plausible. No couch-lifer for me today.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back