• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oman, Dhofar (1 Viewer)

ekopa

Hello!

Please help me confirm the identification of these birds from the Dhofar region of Oman, all photographed in Decemebr in Khawr Rawri
1-2 Whiskered Tern?
3 Indian Pond Heron?
4 Greater Spotted Eagle?
5 ?

Attachments

• 1E6A9492.JPG
    1E6A9492.JPG
    321.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 1E6A9511.JPG
    1E6A9511.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 1E6A9533.JPG
    1E6A9533.JPG
    569.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 1E6A9545.JPG
    1E6A9545.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 1E6A9596.JPG
    1E6A9596.JPG
    503.7 KB · Views: 176
6-7 Pin-tailed Snipe?
8 Turkestan Shrike?

Attachments

• 1E6A9564.JPG
    1E6A9564.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 81
  • 1E6A9565.JPG
    1E6A9565.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 1E6A9697_ Turkestan Shrike.JPG
    1E6A9697_ Turkestan Shrike.JPG
    550.5 KB · Views: 91
Green Sandpiper for 5?

Is the unstreaked white throat good for the Pond Heron, more like Sqaucco?

Agree with the rest

Andy

Last edited:
1-2 yes, whiskered t.
3 squacco i think
4. yes to greater spotted
5. common sandpiper

#5 is really strange. I know Common Sanpiper really well. Didn't look like it on the site. I didn't have enough time to study it but normally I recognize the CS rightaway...

#5 is really strange. I know Common Sanpiper really well. Didn't look like it on the site. I didn't have enough time to study it but normally I recognize the CS rightaway...

Doesn't strike me as Common Sand but I have a gift for being wrong!

Andy

3 is an Indian pond heron to me. They are at least equally common at Khawr Rori as Squacco herons. This bird has the dark loral strip only found on the pond heron. I take the authors word for it that the browns were quite dark and there is not much sign of any intermediate colours. IPHs tend to be two tone: dark brown and off white.

5: Green sandpiper for me though I am less certain about this one.

Rob

For the snipe, it looks at first glance like Pin-tailed (the bill is quite short-looking) but I'm not sure it is. It has a white leading edge, which isn't right for Pin-tailed, but it seems to lack Common Snipe's white trailing edge. On the other hand, the golden-coloured braces on the back are very strong, more like Common. A clear view of the underwing pattern would help.

The shrike is a classic male Turkestan.

No photo with the underwing unfortunately. I just realized that I've never seen a Common Snipe in such a situation. Normally when it's flush it flies away in a very peculiar zigzag fashion. This one chose to fly around me and gave me the opportunity to photograph it. Is it just by accident?

That #5 is bugging me, can't make up my mind between Common and Green; leg colour and length looks more Green, slight bill curvature more Common. And breast pattern almost intermediate. A strange bird! Any other pics of it? Didi it call?

#5 looks like a Temminck's Stint to me - plain greyish above, well defined breast band, white eye-ring, slightly decurved bill. The legs do look a little dark though.

Here is one more picture of #5. Doesn't help much. Something distracted me, I turned away, and when I turned back, it was gone.
Now I tend to agree with the Temminck's Stint. It was definitely very different from the Green and Common Sandpipers, which I think I can identify rightaway almost from any angle.

Attachments

• 1E6A9593.JPG
    1E6A9593.JPG
    620.3 KB · Views: 100
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back