• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seabirds from Hurghada, Egypt (2 Viewers)

Deb335077

please Confirm or correct my guesses please
1. Slender Bill Gull
2. Greater Crested Tern
3. Not sure on the cormorant shot (distant)
4. Sooty Gull

Thank you for any help given
Debbie

Attachments

• 105A4040.jpg
    105A4040.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 105A4073.jpg
    105A4073.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 105A4161.jpg
    105A4161.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 105A4183.jpg
    105A4183.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 71
1. Yes, slender-billed gull - with its prehistoric head-shape © DIMW.
2. Not greater crested tern - bill-colour and head-pattern are wrong. I'm not really happy with it as Caspian tern: bill isn't massive and has no black tip, and underside of outer primaries isn't dark enough - but it does have Caspian tern's characteristic notch in the edge to the black cap, by the bill-base. Pass.
3. Great cormorant.
4. Yes, sooty gull - e.g. greeny-yellow base to heavy bill.
(Assuming these are all very recent - but it's always sensible/useful/interesting to give dates, with every ID request - thanks.)

Last edited:
1. Yes, slender-billed gull - with its prehistoric head-shape © DIMW.
2. Not greater crested tern - bill-colour and head-pattern are wrong. I'm not really happy with it as Caspian tern: bill isn't massive and has no black tip, and underside of outer primaries isn't dark enough - but it does have Caspian tern's characteristic notch in the edge to the black cap, by the bill-base. Pass.
3. Great cormorant.
4. Yes, sooty gull - e.g. greeny-yellow base to heavy bill.
(Assuming these are all very recent - but it's always sensible/useful/interesting to give dates, with every ID request - thanks.)
These were all taken in the last week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back