• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More IDs from my trip to Alentejo Portugal (1 Viewer)

dickdarwin

1. No idea
2. No idea, taken at distance into the sun - only view I got.
3. Rock sparrow?
4. Rock sparrow.

Any help much appreciated

R

Attachments

• Mystery bird 2 Marvao 230817.jpg
    Mystery bird 2 Marvao 230817.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Mystery Bird Marvao 230817.jpg
    Mystery Bird Marvao 230817.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 99
  • Rock sparrow Marvao 220817 2.jpg
    Rock sparrow Marvao 220817 2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Rock sparrow Marvao 220817.jpg
    Rock sparrow Marvao 220817.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 76
1. maybe corn, maybe Yellowhammer? no sure
2. Crow seems a good fit
3-4. House sparrow I think, but definitively not Rock.

1 - ditto to Corn Bunting
2 - probably Carrion Crow, but hard to rule out Raven
3, 4 - ditto to House Sparrow (3 an immature male, 4 a female - can't totally rule out Spanish Sparrow for the female)

In fact, specific name comes from Italian "cirlo", from the verb zirlàre (to chirp) which sounds neither as hard or a soft "c", but as a soft "ch" (like chirp!)

I still wonder how this term creeped (deformed, as "cerillo") into the Spanish "common" name for the closely related E. citrinella

Soft in English ("serl bunting"), but hard in the Latin name ("emberiza kirlus")

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back