• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Variegated bristle-tyrant on opus (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
As someone who's struggling at mo with tyrannid I'd, can someone confirm or otherwise that dark lower mandible excludes Variegated Bristle-tyrant (and therefore one of the 2 pics in opus)?

Birds of northern South America doesn't mention bill, although the illustration clearly shows an orangy mandible, dark maxilla. Birds of peru says has orangy mandible and is most similar to Slaty-capped fly which has an all-black bill. This is shown in the illustration. Lower opus bird looks ok (corresponds to hbw pics), upper with more broken wing bars and "fiercer" expression is probably Slaty - capped. Note bi-colored bill not always apparent in pics, but doesn't appear black if not

Thanks for starting this discussion Larry.

I've written to both photographers asking if they want to join in here.

Thanks to all for catching this mis-identification. For me personally, it is great to have properly identified pictures but more importantly it is paramount that the pictures representing a species in OPUS in properly identified. Thanks to all that has been involved in this process. I will update my post to Slaty-capped Flycatcher. I will contact Delia to have here remove it from OPUS. Thanks again for everyones expertise and time!

Hilty's Birds Of Colombia includes orange lower mandible and wide cinnamon (not yellow) wing bars as key identification features of Variegated Bristle-tyrant

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back