• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-eared/Spectacled Spiderhunter? Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
Date: 20-Jan-2022

This are the only 2 shots I managed to get. I haven't seen either Yellow-eared or Spectacled Spiderhunter before. Therefore, I cannot tell how long the bill is considered long.

Pic #1 can see slightly visible yellow ear tuft.
Pic #2 can see the yellow eyering and partial of the bill.

My current finding suggested it is Yellow-eared Spiderhunter based on "Bill is bicolored: pinkish at the base and darker towards the tip" in reference to ebird (https://ebird.org/species/yeespi1). Not so thick yellow eyering comparing to Spectacled on ebird.

However, the main pic and 3rd pic for Spectacled on ebird (https://ebird.org/species/spespi2) also visible bicolored bill and pinkish at base. This makes me little confused between two.

Could someone confirm any visible features that can distinguish between Yellow-eared and Spectacled?

Thanks.

PIC-20220120-101336-DSC00363-A7R3a.jpg

PIC-20220120-101432-DSC00367-A7R3a.jpg

Agreed Yellow-eared but would also add eyeing is incomplete, clearly absent from the lower half of the orbital ring + it has a slightly longer, slighter bill.

Grahame
Good point. That would explain why the eye-ring isn't that striking in the field, whereas with Spectacled it's the first thing you notice.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back