• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox: BD BR vs. HG (1 Viewer)

APSmith

The specs for these two lines are very similar. I'm curious about the quality of view more so than the body composition, fit/finish and range finding feature.

Has anyone compared these?

Thanks, APS

APSmith said:
The specs for these two lines are very similar. I'm curious about the quality of view more so than the body composition, fit/finish and range finding feature.

Has anyone compared these?

Thanks, APS

Apart from them both having Aspheric lenses in the eyepiece lens assemblies they're anything but similar - the HGs are about 120g lighter on average then the BDs as they use a magnesium alloy body rather then aluminium, the quality of glass (from Schott AG) is better, the prism mirror coating is superior, the light transmission is better, the contrast is 17% more than the BDs, they've got a locking diopter, dual gear system for the focussing, much better DOF and 4 click-stop eyecups.

And all this for about £120 more on average across the range...

Hope some of this is of use to you!

ATB,

Dave.

There are 5 different binoculars to chose from in the HG line and 11 in the BD line. In US funds at Cameraland in NYC the HG Aspheric 8.5 x 43 costs $750.00 and the BD Aspheric 8.5 x 42 costs $550.00. Other than what is noted above, the specs of both are virtually the same except for weight.
Bob

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your replies.

I am really close to giving the HG 8x33 a try. I've struggled to find a glass that adequately fills the void in that price range.

APS

Last edited:
davem said:
Apart from them both having Aspheric lenses in the eyepiece lens assemblies they're anything but similar - the HGs are about 120g lighter on average then the BDs as they use a magnesium alloy body rather then aluminium, the quality of glass (from Schott AG) is better, the prism mirror coating is superior, the light transmission is better, the contrast is 17% more than the BDs, they've got a locking diopter, dual gear system for the focussing, much better DOF and 4 click-stop eyecups.

And all this for about £120 more on average across the range...

Hope some of this is of use to you!

ATB,

Dave.
let me put my flame suite on first. OK, all that sounds good but, i have the 10x42 bd br and ordered some 10x43 hg's. the 10x42's while not a bright as the hg's had better resolution and contrast to me and 4 others. I have read some great reports of the 8x33hg,s though. I also have the 8x32 bd br and they are very good glasses, but i have not had a chance to compare them to the 8x33hg's yet. I would order both and return the ones you do not like.

binocrazy said:
the 10x42's while not a bright as the hg's had better resolution and contrast to me and 4 others. I have read some great reports of the 8x33hg,s though. I also have the 8x32 bd br and they are very good glasses, but i have not had a chance to compare them to the 8x33hg's yet. I would order both and return the ones you do not like.

binocrazy,

Thanks for the helpful input. I'm more concerned with actual performance (which you're reporting) than with the specs; and I'm hopeful that these (8x33s) could be the ones that bridge the gap to the "alphas".

When comparing the 10xs, did you note any differences between them concerning (a)flare/glare, and (b) focusing ease? And, overall, how do the Minoxs you've examined do in terms of flare/glare?

I'm considering your last suggestion. However, in the meantime, I'd be interested in any reports you could refer (other than those on BF).

Thanks, APS

Last edited:
the minox hg's and bd br's are both very well made. the hg's have a metal focus wheel. it is not a big deal, just a little odd. both models are very precise when the wheel is turned. the hg's i had seemed to have a little more friction in the turning of the focus. I have not had any problem with glare/flare with my bd br's. my bd8x32br's are so close to my nikon lx's that i forget witch pair are in my hands. I have to look long and hard to see any difference at all. and i just got a pair of 8x32 zeiss fl's they are a little better than the nikon lx, but just a little. After buying the others i can say the minox 8x32's i have are all i ever needed in an 8x32 size bin.

Thanks again. I guess if I'm going to get some Spring birding in with them, now's time to order. If I do, I'll try to give some comments.

APS

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back