• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox BD 8.5x43 BR Asph. Argon filled etc. (1 Viewer)

Well,as they say, you pay your money and you make your choice, one mans meat is another man's gravy etc etc.

My Minox 10x52 are a great value bin with (for me) excellent all round performance and I frankly wonder if another £500 (or twice the price) gets you twice the optical performance when you buy a top end Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski. My guess would be not. And as I said in an earlier note, I've tried Leica and Swaros and found their focussing mechanism to be a bit suspect, something I would be very unhappy with at their prices. I think I've got the best value for my budget and my particular requirements and let's be frank, you're not going to get perfection in a pair of sub £500 bins

Cheers

B

Hi All,

the verdict of Wehr is very valuable especially as he qualifies it with the sentence...

"...It's really a pity, but I found them useless for me..." with the last 3 words being the key.

For several more independent views from quite a diverse range of varied sources try www.minoxuk.co.uk/reviews.htm

ATVB,

Dave.

davem said:
For several more independent views from quite a diverse range of varied sources try www.minoxuk.co.uk/reviews.htm

That made me smile - not totally convinced that Minox's own website is the place to go to get independant reviews of their bins. I'm not saying that the reviews themselves aren't from independant sources, but I doubt they'll be putting up links to unfavourable reviews.

postcardcv said:
That made me smile - not totally convinced that Minox's own website is the place to go to get independant reviews of their bins. I'm not saying that the reviews themselves aren't from independant sources, but I doubt they'll be putting up links to unfavourable reviews.
just goes to show how important it is to try the optics you are interested in for yourself.had the oportunity to try some bins out at cley spy over the weekend and found for myself that not all highly rated binoculars can be suited for all individuals,although i agree with everything that has been said about the nikon se's.i look forward to comparing the new minox porro's with opticrons verano bga,either one will be my final choice.

matt

davem said:
Hi All,

the verdict of Wehr is very valuable especially as he qualifies it with the sentence...

"...It's really a pity, but I found them useless for me..." with the last 3 words being the key.

ATVB,

Dave.

Dave,

I would like to emphasize what you and I said. On my opinion it's the only real drawback of Minox. Of course the people at Minox know it very well too. I visit them on regular basis at their centre in Wetzlar (not far away from my home) to see which improvements they are making. Until today they had no chance without blowing up their (price) policy. Finally they offer standard and brand-independent Japanese quality binoculars (sold under various "brands"), adapted to Minox specifications and with some minor individual improvements. But their market prices must not exceed half of the price of the Leicas. But technically spoken they absolutely know how to make top bins.

Walter

Sorry Walter, I'm missing something here - what is 'the only real drawback of Minox'? Originally you said Minox were 'all made from the same scrap' and complained about 'tremendous stray light and CA' but now you are saying that 'technically they absolutely know how to make top bins'. Do you mean that they know how to make them but are not?

I think they are great - well built and terrific neutral image.

Barry

barry robson said:
Sorry Walter, I'm missing something here - what is 'the only real drawback of Minox'? Originally you said Minox were 'all made from the same scrap' and complained about 'tremendous stray light and CA' but now you are saying that 'technically they absolutely know how to make top bins'. Do you mean that they know how to make them but are not?

I think they are great - well built and terrific neutral image.

Barry

It's all about stray light, reflexes and CA. That's the scrap for me. They are well able to make top bins, but not for this little money within their market segment.

Walter

Last edited:
Wehr said:
It's all about stray light, reflexes and CA. That's the scrap for me. They are well able to make top bins, but not for this little money within their market segment.

Walter

Again, I have to disagree. My Minox 10x58 ED is one of the best binoculars I've ever used (I've previously used Zeiss 7x45 Night Owl, Zeiss 7x42 classic, Leica 8x50, Nikon 10x42 HG...). I really don't think you can make such a broad statement about the whole range. It honestly sounds like the Minox instruments do not suit your eyes for some reason, but many of us find them excellent (even in comparison to 'top' brands).

Wehr said:
Dave,
. Finally they offer standard and brand-independent Japanese quality binoculars (sold under various "brands"), adapted to Minox specifications and with some minor individual improvements. But their market prices must not exceed half of the price of the Leicas. But technically spoken they absolutely know how to make top bins.

Walter

I seem to remember a discussion a while back to the effect that Minox binoculars were either designed in Germany but made in Japan, parts from Japan but assembled in Germany or simply rebranded Japan bins. What is the story? The supplied Minox ocular rainguard certainly ooks like a clone of the Eagle Optics Japan-made Ranger version?

Hi all,

In response to Chartwell99's question....

Minox binoculars are fully (glass, coatings, housings etc - everything) designed and specified in the German R+D labs by staff with over 50 years of optical design experience. The designs are then taken to the factory in Japan where they are put together as prototypes.

For ease of building and speed of release, if components that match the required standards are already in existence, then these may be used if they are compatible with and meet the required standards for the model in question, if not, then the necessary tools are made, usually at great expense.

So therefore, yes, Minox binoculars are all a German concept, but the finished articles come out of Japan.

ATVB,

Dave.

davem said:
So therefore, yes, Minox binoculars are all a German concept, but the finished articles come out of Japan.

Thanks for that clarification Dave. I think this explains in part why they're such good value. After many years in the electronics and computing industry, I'm fully confident in the ability of Japanese manufacturers to meet specifications and keep on doing it, unit after unit.

A pretty unbeatable combo I would have thought - German/Japanese know how in one package. Frankly. I don't really care where they are made - the end package gives me a great bin at an affordable price. If Minox ever decide to go more up-market then I will do my best to afford their product, that's how happy I am with minecurrent bin - and the after sales service has been top-notch (see my earlier notes about replacement eye cups)

B

barry robson said:
A pretty unbeatable combo I would have thought - German/Japanese know how in one package. Frankly. I don't really care where they are made - the end package gives me a great bin at an affordable price.

I understand that one other factor in the affordable price is the use of BK7 rather than BAK-4 prisms, since the difference between the two is presumably not as critical for use in roof prism bins. Any truth to that, Dave?

solentbirder said:
Again, I have to disagree. My Minox 10x58 ED is one of the best binoculars I've ever used (I've previously used Zeiss 7x45 Night Owl, Zeiss 7x42 classic, Leica 8x50, Nikon 10x42 HG...). I really don't think you can make such a broad statement about the whole range. It honestly sounds like the Minox instruments do not suit your eyes for some reason, but many of us find them excellent (even in comparison to 'top' brands).

I have no problem, if you say Minox is o.K. for you.
But here are people who want to know what they can expect from Minox in comparison with top bins. Therefore I gave my statements.
There is definitely something wrong with your experience and/or your demands and/or your ability to judge
in respect of optics, if you put mid class bins on par with Leica and the top bins of Nikon and Zeiss.
Otherwise Zeiss and Leica won't sell a single pair of binoculars with their top prices.
Don't feel offended, but in real life you won't get 100% performance for 50% of the money.

Walter

Last edited:
solentbirder said:
Thanks for that clarification Dave. I think this explains in part why they're such good value. After many years in the electronics and computing industry, I'm fully confident in the ability of Japanese manufacturers to meet specifications and keep on doing it, unit after unit.

Sure, the Japanese manufacturers meet the Minox specifications.

Walter

Wehr said:
I have no problem, if you say Minox is o.K. for you.
But here are people who want to know what they can expect from Minox in comparison with top bins. Therefore I gave my statements.
There is definitely something wrong with your experience and/or your demands and/or your ability to judge
in respect of optics, if you put mid class bins on par with Leica and the top bins of Nikon and Zeiss.
Otherwise Zeiss and Leica won't sell a single pair of binoculars with their top prices.
Don't feel offended, but in real life you won't get 100% performance for 50% of the money.

Walter

I was very specific and stated that the Minox 10x58 ED is one of the best binoculars I've used even compared to 'top' brands. I did not say that ALL Minox binoculars were equivalent to ALL Leicas and Zeiss. I would not make such a broad statement. There is nothing wrong with my ability to judge optics thank you very much (I have 30 years experience as an active bird watcher and astronomer and I have 20/20 vision). However, I judge each case as I find it and I am not blinded by brand names. As for the price of Leica and Zeiss instruments, this is partly due to the higher labour costs in europe and partly due to intentional market positioning. You do not get double the optical performance by paying double. You seem intent on dismissing opinions that do not match your own and now you question whether I am capable of assessing a pair of binoculars.
YES, I AM OFFENDED !

solentbirder said:
I was very specific and stated that the Minox 10x58 ED is one of the best binoculars I've used even compared to 'top' brands. I did not say that ALL Minox binoculars were equivalent to ALL Leicas and Zeiss. I would not make such a broad statement. There is nothing wrong with my ability to judge optics thank you very much (I have 30 years experience as an active bird watcher and astronomer and I have 20/20 vision). However, I judge each case as I find it and I am not blinded by brand names. As for the price of Leica and Zeiss instruments, this is partly due to the higher labour costs in europe and partly due to intentional market positioning. You do not get double the optical performance by paying double. You seem intent on dismissing opinions that do not match your own and now you question whether I am capable of assessing a pair of binoculars.
YES, I AM OFFENDED !

You are offended? Sorry, but this is your problem. I don't dismiss your opinion, but practical experience leads to different results, for I'm talking about experience not opinions.
Finally, may be your sample of Minox 10x58 is an unusual good one.

Walter

Hi John
Cutting out all the jargon, the main practical benefits of aspherical lenses are a flatter field of focus with more even illumination across the field and better sharpness at the edges. I suspect they are more widely used than we know. Nikon often refer to 'field flattener' lenses which may be aspherical elements.
Cheers
SolentBirder

'morning all,

not sure from what has been said overnight what needs clarifying but here goes...!

Yes, Fluorite glass is used in the 10x58, 15x58 8-14x40 Vario and 2 of our 4 spotting scopes as John Traynor correctly says. As a simplified rule, Fluorite gass helps dramatically reduce cromatic abberation (by upto 94%) in optical instruments with a magnification over 10x, below this it is of little or no use. There are different grades of Fluorite glass, I know Minox uses the highest (and heaviest grade) but can't remember the industrial designation of it - I don't think it's H5N1, or is that birdflu?? :-O

Solentbirder has Aspherics down to a tee, and is correct that they could be more widely used without the obvious promotion - we have heard from sources that Leica have used them in their new compact Ultravids - don't take this as absolute Gospel though, just what we have heard.

Some buyers of binoculars will buy by brand, therefore the likes of Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Nikon and Opticron (sorry to anyone else who I have forgotten) who have long established and excellent reputations will always score first regardless of price ahead of newcomers such as Minox, who, in the UK especially, have been largely unheard of in the mainstream birding market until the past 2 years in terms of promotion and advertising which puts us anything between 8 and 80 years behind the pack!

Chartwell99, I am unable at present to answer your question regarding the prisms - I'll try to find out.

Hope this is everything for the time being,

ATVB,

Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back