• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox BD 8.5x43 BR Asph. Argon filled etc. (2 Viewers)

I'd forget about the objective caps if I were you. In fact I've never used them on any binoculars - just something else to delay you spotting a bird.
Regarding the eyecups, on my 10x58 they have a click stop at fully retracted, fully extended + two positions in between, which I find very useful. Pity this isn't used on the smaller binoculars.

Regarding field of view, I find that if binoculars have a good APPARENT field of view, then the REAL field of view (e.g. 315ft at 1000yds) doesn't bother me too much. On the other hand I find a small apparent field of view quite annoying, regardless of the real angular field of view.

Be interested to hear how you rate the apparent field of view on the 8.5's.
Minox don't seem to publish these figures (wish they would !).

Happy viewing !

Good morning All,

I'm now back from Germany and have answers or at least suggestions to all points raised over the past few days...

Weight is a prime consideration (compared with the current Aspheric range) for anything currently on the drawing board and we know that this feature will be a priority with any future models.

Objective lens covers are largely useless in everyday life/use, rainguards are easy to flip off the eyepieces but objective lens covers are just a pain, but from what I can gather most users save them for protection while they are in the case and not being used.

If you want a better strap with the Minox bins or ANY pair of bins / camera etc etc, then the Op/Tech range of straps and harnesses - quite simply excellent quality and a range to suit everyone - www.optechusa.com then Newpro in the UK can either supply, or direct you to a local dealer if you're in the UK. EZ-strap or even the Super Classic Strap are what sells over here for bins and further to that, the harnesses are available in either webbing or an elasticated material.

The new eyecups on the aspherics should simply slide/rotate and stay in place - there is no actual 'click' felt at the top or bottom - if your bins do this then you have the older style eyecups - an easy way to tell - if you fully extend the eyecups and can see 3 sets of 2 parallel plastic grooves running from top to bottom at an angle then you have the older style.

As for the FOV of the bins, please have a look at the PDF file on the minox website under the aspherics section, this gives full technical details but these are ALL lab tested - hence the close focussing of the binoculars is somewhat overstated.

TTFN,

Dave Morgan
Product Coordinator
Minox UK.

www.minoxuk.co.uk

Hi everyone

Thanks for the info Dave, I will look out for an Optech supplier.
Pezzer, forget the objective lens covers more trouble than they are worth but I really don't have a problem with the eye cups - they stay in the full up position and with the amount of rain we have had up here recently, they have been off and on my bins like yo-yo's. FOV I have no idea what it is, but I'm used to it now. Saw loads of Bald Eagles up in the Olympic National Park and along that coast - in fact had 6 in one tree- of all different ages and one outside our motel room in Port Townsend WA - fantastic!

Cheers you all

B

Thanks for that Solentbirder, but I'd like to try before I buy.
The weight is not a major problem unless I've been on a bit of a hike. If I'm out for the day on the fells I've got a small rucksack with sketchbook, paints, flask and sarnies, plus the 65mm scope and tripod AND the bins, so I don't want anything too restrictive (as the Optech harness looks - does it go over or under your anorak?) so I'll look in to what's around.

Cheers

B

barry robson said:
Thanks for that Solentbirder, but I'd like to try before I buy.

You really can't go wrong with those Op-Tech straps. I prefer the E-Z Comfort model over the Classic. Classic has a quick disconnect feature which I don't need and which gives me the feeling it might at some point open inadvertantly. Personally, I feel too restrained with a harness type as I often carry a somewhat heavy camera as well.

But those E-Z Comfort (or Classic) models are one of the greatest inventions in the field of optics accessories! Though, I must admit that the Zeiss straps on the Victory models are very comfortable, too, thanks to their contoured shape

Thanks everyone for the informative thread about Minox and other stuff. I'll keep checking for more posts on Minox products. I am thoroughly enjoying the 8.5 x 42 BR's for their clarity, color quality and brightness. In particular I am finding their performance in the near and mid distance to be superb. I am impressed with these binos and feel good about the $549.00 I paid for them.

Good morning all,

Firstly, we're glad to hear that you're happy with your 8.5x42 asph Minox bins Pezzer - feedback (of any kind) is always good to hear!

With reference to Op/Tech straps and harnesses, I've used some inside knowledge to find out about stockists in the NW for Barry and while the straps are a common item for photo retailers, the harnesses (both webbing and elasticated) seem to be mainly sent out to the main UK 'birding' optics stockists such as Focalpoint of Warrington (01925-730399), Focus Optics near Coventry (01676-540501), Birdnet Optics in Buxton (01298-71844), Warehouse Express (01603 626222) and Cley Spey (01263 740088) in Norfolk.

All of these should do mail order or Newpro UK can supply them - call 01367-242411.

The elasticated harnesses will be best if they are to be used over large winter coats or over much ess clothing in summer as they are both elasticated and fully adjustable. They do not restrict movement at all (apart from stopping your bins bouncing around when running or climbing over difficult terrain!) and should be compatible with most arrays of other optical gear and their associated straps.

Hope this helps,

Dave Morgan.
Minox UK

Thanks for all the info on the straps - when I've finished fitting our currently gutted kitchen and have some spare time I'll get myself down to Warrington to try them out! At the moment birding confined to what's on the feeders and between our house and our postbox 1/3 mile back down the track!!

Cheers all

B

pezzer,

How are the other optical qualities of this bino? Does it have much CA when viewing challenging objects? How is the apparent depth of field? How is it in low light conditions? Can you do a comparison with some other brand? Also, does it "feel" sturdy?

I am just curious, the Minox sounds like a nice little package. I wonder how it would compare to the Meopta B1.

Thanks,

Hogjaws

Hogjaws said:
I am just curious, the Minox sounds like a nice little package. I wonder how it would compare to the Meopta B1.
Thanks,
Hogjaws

It compares very well with the Meopta. It is almost a carbon copy of performance to similar offerings from Kahles and Docter.

ranburr

ranburr said:
It compares very well with the Meopta. It is almost a carbon copy of performance to similar offerings from Kahles and Docter.

ranburr

Hope the Meopta/Kahles/Docter are not as bad as the Minox under bright light conditions (sun from where ever).

Walter

Daylight Aberrations?

Wehr said:
Hope the Meopta/Kahles/Docter are not as bad as the Minox under bright light conditions (sun from where ever).

Walter
So Walter,

How bad in bright daylight is the Minox ALT? Do you get ghost images, CA or what? How good or bad is the view?

Hogjaws

Hogjaws said:
So Walter,

How bad in bright daylight is the Minox ALT? Do you get ghost images, CA or what? How good or bad is the view?

Hogjaws

Hello Hogjaws,

all the Minoxs suffer from tremendous stray-light and CA (ALT or not, even the EDs). I tested a lot of bins in their factory in Wetzlar/Germany and they are all the same scrap. It's really a pity, but I found them useless for me. For example I changed the Minox 15x58 ED with a Docter 15x60 BGA and now I am happy. Please be careful when evaluating the Minox bins. Their drawbacks are not obvious in the dealer's shop, in misty weather or by night, but with sun and in the field they look terrible.

Walter

Wehr said:
Hello Hogjaws,

all the Minoxs suffer from tremendous stray-light and CA (ALT or not, even the EDs). I tested a lot of bins in their factory in Wetzlar/Germany and they are all the same scrap. It's really a pity, but I found them useless for me. For example I changed the Minox 15x58 ED with a Docter 15x60 BGA and now I am happy. Please be careful when evaluating the Minox bins. Their drawbacks are not obvious in the dealer's shop, in misty weather or by night, but with sun and in the field they look terrible.

Walter

Sorry but I have to dispute this. I own a Minox 10x58ED and it's superb under all conditions. In fact it's one of the best binoculars I've owned (including Zeiss and Leicas).

solentbirder said:
Sorry but I have to dispute this. I own a Minox 10x58ED and it's superb under all conditions. In fact it's one of the best binoculars I've owned (including Zeiss and Leicas).

Does the difference in judgement arise from whether or not one is using the binoculars with spectacles on? I find such problems with other brands.

Last edited:
solentbirder said:
Have a look at this review of the 10x58. I agree with everything the author says (and I used to own a Leica 8x50BA which I've now sold).

http://www.brayimaging.co.uk/Astro/binoculars.html#Minox

There is no way to even think about comparing Zeiss/Leica/Nikon with Minox. Minox expressly claims to offer only middle range bins. And so they are in quality and for most bins in prices until today. But the EDs are definitely to expensive. Everybody who plans to buy a Minox should know this. Knowing/accepting this and buying a Minox - there is nothing wrong.

But

night sky observation, as I said before, is something different.

Walter

Last edited:
I wonder if this big difference in opinion is something to do with the Minox eyepiece designs not suiting Wehr's eyes ? This could explain why he doesn't like ANY of the minox binos, while others see a different performance. I once borrowed a pair of Zeiss 7x42's for the day and thought they were the worst binoculars I ever used, although other people rave about them; they just didn't suit me at all I think.

It'd be interesting to hear from other Minox owners and whether they are happy or not with their binos.

Wehr said:
Hello Hogjaws,

Walter

Strange, I have found just the opposite to be true of the 10x42s. I have used Minox primarily in bright and sunny TX. They have performed great. It is strange that you mention the Docter 15x60 vs the Minox 15x58. I made the opposite switch that you did. I found that the Docters and Minox 15Xs performed identical during the daylight hours, but the Minox was significantly superior during poor lighting conditions. Personally, I consider Minox to be a tremendous value.

ranburr

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back