• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED82A scope - V1 or D300 camera? (1 Viewer)

LankisherJohn

Hello,

My first real post is a request for help/advice from more experienced people please regarding which camera system is most suitable for digiscoping (birds/mammals) and general (landscape/portrait) photography.

I have a Nikon ED82A scope with 30x DS eyepiece.

Also have an old Coolpix 4300 (4 Mpixel) digital camera, which may be usable, but would not provide the quality of image that a more modern (10+ Mpixel) camera would.

Having done some preliminary research, preferred options are Nikon V1 or Nikon D300.

My preference at this early stage is for a D300 - larger sensor, DSLR capabilities, would probably add 35mm, 50mm and 135mm Nikkor lenses for general photography.

Am considering a potential future upgrade to full-frame D600 body when funds permit.

Any advice from users of this, or similar, equipment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
John

I have used the J1 and V1 for digiscoping, and I think they are well suited for it.

With a Nikon ED82, I would look closely at mating up the V1 with the DSA-N1 adapter. Add a DS eyepiece you would have one solid setup!

Hello Bitterroot Birds,

Thanks for taking time to reply, much appreciated.

I have bought a Nikon V1 + 10-30 mm lens.

Major bonus: I also bought an OM-N1 adapter for it. I can use (manual focus, stop-down metering mode) an old Sigma 500mm F7.2 APO telephoto and other Olympus lenses on it.

The V1 sensor has a crop factor of 2.7 so the 500mm lens gives an effective focal
length of 1350mm which is 27x magnification - not much less than the scope + DS 30x eyepiece.
Looking forward to taking some pictures soon - will put them in the gallery.

Cheers,
John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back