• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (3 Viewers)

Out today after going up the dump...

Stithians
Main hide
4 Common gull
2 Med gull
Little egret
20 Wigeon

Southern cut
2 Reed bunting
20 Teal
Muscovy duck

Gorrangorras
Greenshank
6 Turnstone

Back on patch again after a months holidays back at my Herts home with my family. I got down to Swanpool around 9:40am with the expectation of catching up with some of the usual highlights on offer. Nice to see the 1st winter Long-tailed Duck still lingering around the NW corner, 1 1st winter Med Gull and a calling Kingfisher on the pool. 2-3 Chiffs were also on the periphery. Just off Swanpool Beach were 20 Turnstone, 10 Fulmar on the cliffs, 1 ad Med Gull and a close in Black-throated Diver. 2 Slavonian Grebes were lingering off Castle Beach and a single Guillemot was sat on the sea in the bay. A short seawatch from Pendennis produced a dozen distant auks heading West, 6+ GNDs and the odd Gannet.

Dan caught up with me at the point and together headed back towards Castle Beach where both Slav Grebes and the BTDiver were showing nicely. A walk around to Gorrangorras and the small sewage works rewarded us with good views of the local Yellow-browed Warbler along with 2 Chiffs, 2+ Goldcrest, 4 Robins and 1 Grey Wag. Since it was low tide, the exposed mud meant that waders were spread thin and far between. Nonetheless, 3 Greenshank and a handful of Curlew and Redshank were present and a Kingfisher landed on the ropes of the moored boats at Jubilee Quay.

Last but not least, just as we were on the doorstep of my house a dark falcon sp. flew North over the top of the houses. The jizz instantly reminded me of Merlin with a small body size and slim/pointed hand. Unfortunately I'd left my bins inside but Dan managed to note the thoroughly dark brown upperwing so it seems my hunch could well be correct!

Last edited:
Never really explored the area where the Yellow-browed Warbler was before. Just in case anyone else wants to go see it, it's showing well and feeding out in the open on the stones inside the sewage works. Best viewed from the public footpath leading North from Gorrangorras creek. Wellies advised as the footpath is rather muddy when approaching from the creek. The arrow on the map points to the exact favoured spot of the YBW. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...earchp=ids.srf&dn=892&ax=179235&ay=34712&lm=0

Back on patch again after a months holidays back at my Herts home with my family. I got down to Swanpool around 9:40am with the expectation of catching up with some of the usual highlights on offer. Nice to see the 1st winter Long-tailed Duck still lingering around the NW corner, 1 1st winter Med Gull and a calling Kingfisher on the pool. 2-3 Chiffs were also on the periphery. Just off Swanpool Beach were 20 Turnstone, 10 Fulmar on the cliffs, 1 ad Med Gull and a close in Black-throated Diver. 2 Slavonian Grebes were lingering off Castle Beach and a single Guillemot was sat on the sea in the bay. A short seawatch from Pendennis produced a douzen distant auks heading West, 6+ GNDs and the odd Gannet.

Dan caught up with me at the point and together headed back towards Castle Beach where both Slav Grebes and the BTDiver were showing nicely. A walk around to Gorrangorras and the small sewage works rewarded us with good views of the local Yellow-browed Warbler along with 2 Chiffs, 2+ Goldcrest, 4 Robins and 1 Grey Wag. Since it was low tide, the exposed mud meant that waders were spread thin and far between. Nonetheless, 3 Greenshank and a handful of Curlew and Redshank were present and a Kingfisher landed on the ropes of the moored boats at Jubilee Quay.

Last but not least, just as we were on the doorstep of my house a dark falcon sp. flew North over the top of the houses. The jizz instantly reminded me of Merlin with a small body size and slim/pointed hand. Unfortunately I'd left my bins inside but Dan managed to note the thoroughly dark brown upperwing so it seems my hunch could well be correct!

Talking of falcon sp. Forgot to say what I thought was a Peregrine with a kill flying south across the creek at Devoran quay at approx 1245pm. Very pointed wings in flight and calling (was mobbed).

Last edited:
Never really explored the area where the Yellow-browed Warbler was before. Just in case anyone else wants to go see it, it's showing well and feeding out in the open on the stones inside the sewage works. Best viewed from the public footpath leading North from Gorrangorras creek. Wellies advised as the footpath is rather muddy when approaching from the creek. The arrow on the map points to the exact favoured spot of the YBW. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...earchp=ids.srf&dn=892&ax=179235&ay=34712&lm=0

aka Bissom Sewerage Works ;) Cheers for putting the location up.

Probably the best views I've had of YB Warbler outside Shetland.

Just for completeness sake - also around BSW - 11 Meadow Pipit on wires, 8+ LTTit, 20+ Redwing, 4 Goldcrest and a few other woodland passerines, with 4 Bullfinch and 8 Linnet on the riverside.

2 Blackcap (m) on Beacon Road in addition to the Merlin

Attachments

• 100_4172.JPG
    100_4172.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_4196.JPG
    100_4196.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_4205.JPG
    100_4205.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Cheers, and yourself ;)

Last year there was a lot more birder activity if I recall correctly - prob down to the Grey Phal and good numbers of grebes in the bay. Always good to see the blackreds etc still about though ...

Dan,
I've been given a large bag of bird food by a work colleague who can't have bird feeders anymore because of his cat.

Would you like it as a donation for the Stithians feeding station?

Looks like you are the new warden up there!!

Dan,
I've been given a large bag of bird food by a work colleague who can't have bird feeders anymore because of his cat.

Would you like it as a donation for the Stithians feeding station?

Looks like you are the new warden up there!!

Yes, that would be great of course cheers :t: Be good to meet up anyway, been a while, I'll drop you a text or pm.

(Shame for your colleague of course).

Looks like I am that indeed, although its very much a team effort tbh. (Someone has to volunteer for scapegoat duties ;) )

Headed out to Pendennis this am around 9 for a short seawatch (cheers for the loan of the scope Samuel :t: ) -

Gannet, Kittiwake and auks (most G or unid'ed, some R) - c200/hour
Fulmar - 8
GND - 3 on sea

LT Duck still on Swanpool (back in the NW corner), GCG, 6 LGrebe.

Blackred Florence Place on my return (1stw m)

Last edited:
Out to get some milk and that earlier -

2 Black Redstart again on the intersection of Marlborough and Trelawney Road.

Gorrangorras -

5 Mute Swan
7 Little Egret
40 Teal
7 Mallard
30+ Curlew
25 Redshank
4 Greenshank

Swanpool -

10 Little Grebe
1 Great Crested Grebe

Offshore -

130+ Shag
1 Great Northern Diver
2 Guillemot
c20 Turnstone Swanpool Point

1 Black Redstart on Wood Lane on my return home.

A full days birding with Dan taking part in a one-team bird race (we won! :-O). Basically, our aim was to try and clock as many birds between the hours 7:30-17:00 within the localish area and spilling out onto less frequented sites such as Devoran and Feock. Our efforts paid off well with a total 88 species!

1. Mute Swan
  2. Canada Goose
  3. Shelduck
  4. Wigeon
  5. Mallard
  6. Teal
  7. Scaup
  8. Tufted Duck
  9. Long-tailed Duck
  10. Goldeneye
  11. Red-breasted Merganser
  12. Great Northern Diver
  13. Little Grebe
  14. Great Crested Grebe
  15. Slavonian Grebe
  16. Black-necked Grebe
  17. Fulmar
  18. Cormorant
  19. Shag
  20. Gannet
  21. Little Egret
  22. Grey Heron
  23. Buzzard
  24. Sparrowhawk
  25. Kestrel
  26. Water Rail
  27. Moorhen
  28. Coot
  29. Oystercatcher
  30. Ringed Plover
  31. Lapwing
  32. Purple Sandpiper
  33. Snipe
  34. Turnstone
  35. Black-tailed Godwit
  36. Bar-tailed Godwit
  37. Whimbrel
  38. Curlew
  39. Redshank
  40. Greenshank
  41. Mediterranean Gull
  42. Black-headed Gull
  43. Herring Gull
  44. Lesser Black-backed Gull
  45. Great Black-backed Gull
  46. Common Gull
  47. Kittiwake
  48. Sandwich Tern
  49. Feral Pigeon
  50. Woodpigeon
  51. Collared Dove
  52. Kingfisher
  53. Great Spotted Woodpecker
  54. Green Woodpecker
  55. Skylark
  56. Pied Wagtail
  57. Grey Wagtail
  58. Meadow Pipit
  59. Rock Pipit
  60. Dipper
  61. Wren
  62. Dunnock
  63. Robin
  64. Black Redstart
  65. Stonechat
  66. Blackbird
  67. Song Thrush
  68. Redwing
  69. Blackcap
  70. Chiffchaff
  71. Goldcrest
  72. Firecrest
  73. Long-tailed Tit
  74. Coal Tit
  75. Blue Tit
  76. Great Tit
  77. Magpie
  78. Jackdaw
  79. Carrion Crow
  80. Raven
  81. Starling
  82. House Sparrow
  83. Chaffinch
  84. Goldfinch
  85. Greenfinch
  86. Linnet
  87. Bullfinch
  88. Reed Bunting

Falmouth Town (Marlborough Road):

Starting at Dans we soon located 2 Black Redstarts (1 male, 1 female type) at the Trelawney/Marlborough Road crossroads, along the line of houses opposite the bowling green. Also 3 Blackcap.

Swanpool:

1st win. Long-tailed Duck, still in the NW corner (diving almost continueously only showing for a few seconds at a time)
1st win. drk Scaup, almost definitely one of the earlier long staying birds that had left a few weeks ago
2 Water Rail, 1 Great Crested Grebe, 2+ Chiffchaff, 1 Kingfisher, a few Little Grebes and a Med Gull in the car park.

Swanvale:

Only added Robin here and heard 2 Green Woodpeckers calling

Swanpool Beach and Falmouth Bay:

2 Slavonian Grebes off Castle Beach, 11 Fulmar on the cliff, 15+ Turnstone, 7 Ringed Plover, Stonechat and 2 Med Gulls. It was a sigh of relief to have a Sparrowhawk fly over (arch nemesis for any bird racer as they only crop up every now and then and pinning them down at any guaranteed site isn't easy).

Castle Beach:

1 Whimbrel

Pendennis Point:

1 Purple Sandpiper feeding on the rocks below the point
2 GNDs
2 Stonechat
3+ Common Gulls

Jahovah's Witnesses Hall:

1 Firecrest

Gorrangorras and Bissom Sewage Works:

15 Mute Swan, 3 Greenshank, 60+ Curlew, 30+ Redshank, Kingfisher, 2 Skylark over, c.10 Teal, 4+ Chiffchaff but no sign of the YBW in a brief search.

Mylor:

1 GND, 2 Red-breasted Mergansers (1 male, 1 female) and 1 Black-necked Grebe, 8+ Common Gulls (hardly the numbers we were hoping for but the wind was building up and the high tide was probably encouranging most of the grebes and mergs to take shelter in the creeks).

Devoran:

1 ad. Sandwich Tern (a surprise find amongst the gulls at the northern end of the creek), 2 Raven, 2 Bar-tailed Godwits, 16 Black-tailed Godwits (1 colour-ringed bird: right leg pale greenish/white over green, left leg red over white with 8 on the white ring). Double figures of Wigeon, Teal and Redshank. Also, a handful of Common Gulls, Greenshank and c.10 Shelduck.

Feock (Loe Beach):

1 Black-necked Grebe, 1 Whimbrel and 1 Raven

Stithians Reservoir:

1 Slavonian Grebe (from Stuart Hutching's Hide), 2 fem. Goldeneye 10+ Little Grebes, 2 Ringed Plover (near sailing club), 1 Kestrel and c.15 Lapwing. Southern cut-off: 1 Reed Bunting and numerous Chaffinches, Greenfinches, Dunnocks, Robins, 1 Chiffchaff and a Water Rail around the feeders. 9 Snipe in the centre of the cut-off directly ahead of the hide. Rain soon set in from 2-3pm and our day list started to suffer as a result as well as slow our pace.

Argal Res:

BhGulls and Tufties.

College Res:

1st win. drk Scaup almost definitely the other long staying individual that was at Swanpool. No sign of any Bittern yet unfortunately but did note 65 Wigeon and 2 GCGrebes.

Swanpool Beach, Swanpool and Swanvale:

A couple Fulmar offshore and more rain

Trescobease Park:

Nearly dark but still noted 20+ Redwing, 2 Bullfinches, Magpies in double figures (maybe pre-roost flocks), 4 Skylark and 10+ Mipits in the neighbouring field.

Also 1 Dipper at an undisclosed site on our route around the local area.

Thanks again to Dan for all the driving and the great company! :t:

Last edited:
Good day out! Am in Falmouth for a week (arrive tomorrow) so will retrace some of your route while there, as my year list is a magnificent 43, I still need most of what you saw! :)

A full days birding with Dan taking part in a one-team bird race (we won! :-O). Basically, our aim was to try and clock as many birds between the hours 7:30-17:00 within the localish area and spilling out onto less frequented sites such as Devoran and Feock. Our efforts paid off well with a total 88 species!

Yes a cracking day, cheers!

The weather started closing in at Stithians - I think we didn't actually get any new species after that point if I recall correctly, despite our high hopes ... those dozen or so target species just continued to elude us. (I think Rook, Jay, Guillemot and Razorbill the worst after the YBW, and we didn't go for any owls either. The mix of species available varies year on year of course). But we did score Coal Tit on our first targeted attempt!

(The only other time I've done a reasonable day list in the area was back on Jan 1st 2011 if I've searched correctly - 74 on foot, see posts #120 and #121 on this thread, and a similar circuit as todays #post 771, although didn't do a day total ... anyway, 100 must be possible in a day.)

But enough of what we didn't see - some cracking birds and a few nice surprises in there. :t:

Last edited:
Cheers Jon, think it's the highest local area record Dan and I have achieved (although having said that we rarely do any day listing). Many of the long staying highlights are still about including both Scaup and the Long-tailed Duck. Although there aren't impressive numbers of divers and grebes like last year there are still a few to be found around the bay. Hopefully bump into you on patch soon then. :)

It wasn't really the day for taking photos but managed a few (there might have been a few more if other circumstances hadn't intervened ;) )

1. Scaup and Moorhen
2. Stonechat (the Gylly one)
3. GreyWagtail
4. Common Buzzard
5. Dipper delving

Attachments

• 100_4225.JPG
    100_4225.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_4094.JPG
    100_4094.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_4211.JPG
    100_4211.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_4233.JPG
    100_4233.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_4239.JPG
    100_4239.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
6. Sandwich Tern
7. Colour-ringed Black-tailed Godwit

Afraid the Sandwich Tern at least was pretty distant

Attachments

• 100_4251.JPG
    100_4251.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_4266.JPG
    100_4266.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 42
16 Black-tailed Godwits (1 colour-ringed bird: right leg pale greenish/white over green, left leg red over white with 8 on the white ring).

Black-tailed Godwit R8-LG was ringed as an adult male in N Iceland in May 2005, since seen at Devoran in the winters of 2010 and 2011 (in addition to various sites in Iceland in summer 2011 (per Mark Grantham)

An NGB (Next Generation Birder) just posted pics up on a facebook page of a YBW taken at College Res (at the southern end)! Another person on another facebook page also posted up a pic of a sawbill taken from the pier at Church Street. Pics are tiny but it looks like it could be a female RBMerg or perhaps something more interesting.

Looks like trawling the internet has produced some good local birds! :eat:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back