• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Rebel T4i vs. T3i (1 Viewer)

Rapala

While I was researching different Entry/Mid-level DSLR's and similar (M4/3s) cameras I came across the T3i and T4i as options as well as Micro Four Thirds cameras. Ignoring the M4/3s, I wondered which of these two cameras outperformed the other. I know they are several models old and have been since replaced, but the seem well suited for my uses (bird photography, wildlife, etc.). Are there really many differences? I know the T4i has the newer Digic5 processor and a touch screen but I also read that the T3i has slightly better photo quality. Any truth to this? I would be using video only occasionally, so it would be more weighted on the ergonomics/settings/pic quality, et cetera. Looking through the gallery I see that more people use the T3i, but of course that doesn't really mean anything. I would probably end up using a Canon EF400L IS or EF100-400mm IS lens with it, if that changes anything. Does either stand out from the other? Thanks

I have both. The T4i is my main while the T3i is my backup body. The T4i is better in noise control than the T3i due to its newer processor, otherwise image quality is quite similar. The T4i's 5fps is superior for action shooting and the Af system is better for fast lenses (f/2.8 and larger) due to the AF points being all cross type with the center point being dual-cross type for the said fast elnses. The T3i has one advantage in video digital zoom, a feature that sadly was taken out of he T4i. I found that feature useful for an emergency 'videoscoping' setup with a focal length of up to 3000mm++!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back