• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Giant Binoculars (1 Viewer)

There are some excellent instruments with 80mm objectives from Docter, Kowa and Miyauchi but they are heavy and expensive and all have the disadvantage (for birding) of individual focussing.
Before settling on a scope I considered the option of 15x60 binoculars but decided that 15x magnification was not quite enough. There is a 20x60 binocular from Pentax, which is inexpensive and allegedly optically very good, albeit with a rather narrow field of view.
Apart from this I know of no others with central focussing.

John

mgsphilip said:
Why don't birdwatchers use giant binoculars instead of telescopes? Surely two eyes are better than one.

Some guesses from me:

- A spotting scope is lighter than giant binoculars. They have to be carried around quite a lot.
- Binoculars of the same optical quality would cost much more.
- Following flying birds (or just panning around) is easier and quicker with a spotting scope than with a giant binocular. (The binocular would be mounted on a tripod. Keeping both your eyes to the eyepieces sort of restricts your head movement. With a spotting scope you can move more freely and still have one eye on the eyepiece.)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back