• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seawatch rehab? (1 Viewer)

Julian Bell

Natural Born Birder
Anyone know any seawatching rehab centres? Tomorrow, 31.05, is the last day of my 2 1/2 month seawatching marathon. I'm not actually sure I can stop and may need help to quit this seawatching addiction....

OK, I've admitted there's a problem. Any ideas what the next step is?

Anyone else done something similar and managed to kick the habit?

Julian Bell said:
Anyone know any seawatching rehab centres? Tomorrow, 31.05, is the last day of my 2 1/2 month seawatching marathon. I'm not actually sure I can stop and may need help to quit this seawatching addiction....

OK, I've admitted there's a problem. Any ideas what the next step is?

Go and live in Mongolia

Rum, Sodomy and the Lash ?

If that fails or isn't availa ble to you on the NHS or your healthcare insurer, listen to the Pogues album of the same name!

start going out on pelagics instead. once youve experienced the views you get of feeding seabirds around the boat, seawatching from land seems a right bore.

joe

Last edited:
Are there any houses on the coast where you seawatch for sale?
If there are, buy one. I live on the coast and cant imagine not staring out to sea every day. There is always something worth watching.

Julian Bell said:

That's the problem with seawatching. After a while you need more and more to get the same effect. You can handle it. Take a month off to write it up, get some more tattoos (a southern giant petrel covered in gore, eyeing up your goolies, would go down well with the laydeez). And then the autumn seawatching starts.

maritime delerium tremens.........

Hi Julian!
Know the feeling. Move inland! You wont though because you are starting to wonder if the summer months will turn up something interesting... Autumn could be great too! The more hours you put in the the more hooked you get! Lived on Cape Clear for 18 months... Still miss the seawatching there...
If you do decide to take a month off suggest you buy something tough to chew on whilst you go thru withdrawal. Go to a masseuse to get the hump on your back sorted out...

joe cockram said:
start going out on pelagics instead. once youve experienced the views you get of feeding seabirds around the boat, seawatching from land seems a right bore.

joe

That won't help I'm afraid - I work offshore on a survey boat. My working life is one long pelagic! Unfortunately I haven't been to anywhere with loads of seabirds, but I do get some.

Check out:
http://www.naturalbornbirder.com/offshore/med.php
or
http://www.naturalbornbirder.com/offshore/australia.php

Last edited:
kas said:
Are there any houses on the coast where you seawatch for sale?
If there are, buy one. I live on the coast and cant imagine not staring out to sea every day. There is always something worth watching.

Already got the house with a sea view - check out

http://www.naturalbornbirder.com/tjeldstoe/tjeldstoe.php

for a picture from my living room.

"Fortunately" its on the fjord side of the islands - otherwise I'd be watching out the window /from the terrace all the time.

SiG said:
Rum, Sodomy and the Lash ?

If that fails or isn't availa ble to you on the NHS or your healthcare insurer, listen to the Pogues album of the same name!

I've got that album, ages since I listened to it.....

Been on your site on a regular basis..good work!

Might suggest a week at the Bridges of Ross, Co Clare, Ireland.
September...
You woluld love it..
Utopia...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back