• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Downy or Hairy Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

mmdnje

Jose
HI. Took this picture in Atlanta, Ga on 8/12/06. I always assume that the onle WP coming to my feeder were downys but I'm not sure about this one. What do you think? Thanks, Jose.

Attachments

• downy56.jpg
    downy56.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 139
Hmmmm..hard to tell at this angle. Where I don't see any dark bars on the outer tail feathers, they could just be folded in. Can't get a grip on the size of the bill from this angle either.

exactly what said KC - bill and outer tail feathers hard too see but i'm leaning towards downy due to its compact look and even from this angle tiny looking bill.

I'd be afraid to rule out Hairy. The lack of the dark spots on outer tail feathers would make me consider Hairy. I googled more photos of the Downy looking for one with that position to see if the bill was even visible at that angle but didn't have any luck.

If the perch is within access for measuring, you could use that and determine the bird's size and that would be pretty definitive. Good luck in any case.

I'm with everyone else as I'm not certain at this angle. It was taken in August when most birds, including woodpeckers are molting so this could explain the lack of spots on the tail. It's compact size has me thinking downy. The bill appears small but also seems like there is some part of it that cannot be seen at this angle.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back