• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow ID (1 Viewer)

birdbath

Canada
Can someone please ID this sparrow for me (I assume it's a sparrow)? Location is Ottawa, ON. I'm sure it's something very common but it doesn't seem to fit song sparrow, white-crowned, house or chipping.

I also have a picture of a woodpecker - I think it's a Hairy but I'm wondering if it could be a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (I heard a sapsucker nearby shortly after I saw this bird). Unfortunately I didn't get its head in my picture but the tail and wing pattern is quite clear.

Attachments

• 20230709_185054.jpg
    20230709_185054.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 80
  • 20230709_185058.jpg
    20230709_185058.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 80
  • 20230710_112017.jpg
    20230710_112017.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
1-2. Adult female or unsexable juvenile house sparrow.
3. Hairy woodpecker. Head (and bill) are in the photo. Upperpart pattern is all wrong for yellow-bellied sapsucker.

Thanks!

My best guess was a juvenile House Sparrow, which surprisingly, is missing from my list....so I can now add it.

The woodpecker was medium-sized (8-9 inches maybe) and had a pretty long bill, so I'm now sure it's a Hairy - I've already seen plenty of those so there's no need for a 100% ID on this one.

I can't see the bill on the woodpecker at all, but it has completely white outter tail feathers (lacking black spots) which suggests Hairy>Downy.

it has completely white outter tail feathers (lacking black spots)
That's a photo-artefact. And, even if white outer tail-feathers were certainly visible, there's no way that presence or absence of small black spots on them could be reliably seen in a photo of this low quality (no offence).

It's got a long bill.
That's a photo-artefact. And, even if white outer tail-feathers were certainly visible, there's no way that presence or absence of small black spots on them could be reliably seen in a photo of this low quality (no offence).
I agree with the second statement quoted here, but I think the quality is also such that we cannot be sure that we are able to see the bill at all, hence I would leave it as probably a Hairy Woodpecker.

we cannot be sure that we are able to see the bill at all
There's a long thin black thing extending from the front of the head and appearing attached to it, in exactly the position and at exactly the angle that a woodpecker's bill would be. On the principle of ducks walking/quacking, and there being no particular reason to think it's a twig, I call that a (long) bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back