• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice for binocular choice for eyeglass use (1 Viewer)

pigmode

Hi,
Having been too busy with work and other activities for the past 20yr, I'm starting back now with hiking and bird watching. Do to injuries I can be a bit slow figuring things out, so...

I've just started wearing glasses a year ago. I currently have on hand a borrowed Meopro HD 8x32, and from Eagle Optics the EL 8x32 SV. I really love the EL-- its form factor, ergonomics, and also the optical clarity over the Meopro.

With the Meopro I tend to get a bit easier eye placement vs the EL. I suspect with the EL (but not completely sure) I'm not getting 100% FOV with eyeglasses on. This raises the question (with the possibility of user error) of whether the 20mm eye relief on the EL is ∽3mm too much for my eyes? For these reasons I'm starting to consider the option of returning the EL for a Leica UVHD+ 7x42.

I've read a couple of birdforum discussions on the Leica UVHD+ 7x42, and it seems to be more forgiving of my needs. In terms of size and weight I think I can live with the Leica, although its definitely a compromise of what I wanted in terms of mobility.

Any thoughts in general, or pertaining to the UVHD+ 7x42 compared to the EL 8x32 SV for eyeglass use would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
Having been too busy with work and other activities for the past 20yr, I'm starting back now with hiking and bird watching. Do to injuries I can be a bit slow figuring things out, so...

I've just started wearing glasses a year ago. I currently have on hand a borrowed Meopro HD 8x32, and from Eagle Optics the EL 8x32 SV. I really love the EL-- its form factor, ergonomics, and also the optical clarity over the Meopro.

With the Meopro I tend to get a bit easier eye placement vs the EL. I suspect with the EL (but not completely sure) I'm not getting 100% FOV with eyeglasses on. This raises the question (with the possibility of user error) of whether the 20mm eye relief on the EL is ∽3mm too much for my eyes? For these reasons I'm starting to consider the option of returning the EL for a Leica UVHD+ 7x42.

I've read a couple of birdforum discussions on the Leica UVHD+ 7x42, and it seems to be more forgiving of my needs. In terms of size and weight I think I can live with the Leica, although its definitely a compromise of what I wanted in terms of mobility.

Any thoughts in general, or pertaining to the UVHD+ 7x42 compared to the EL 8x32 SV for eyeglass use would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

First, did you try to screw the eyecups of the SV 8x32 out a bit to shorten the ER? That could do the trick if you think the ER is too long.

I own the 7x42 UVid+ and it's great with glasses. I found the 8x32 SV fine with glasses in terms of the eye relief.

However, I find the big 6mm exit pupil of the 7x42 is a lot more comfortable with glasses than 4mm. I no longer own any 8x32 (which used to be my favorite binoculars). I have a 6x32 and it's purely for comfort with glasses due to the 5.3mm EP. Eye alignment is no fuss with the larger exit pupil and when you need to bring the bino up to your eyes quickly it's easier to get on fast moving birds. There's no more skating around on top of your eyeglasses attempting to get the alignment just right.

Also, you may really appreciate the greater depth of field of 7x42...I sure do.

Everyone is different, but I find 8x32 not nearly as good with my glasses, so I ditched them in favor of 7x42 and 6x32. But, take my story with a grain of salt and do what's best for you.

Hi,

If you're talking about the 8X32 Swarovision then it has more eye relief than the 7X42 Ultravid. I've had them both. Personally, I find the 8X32 SV one of the easiest views to obtain of any 4mm bin and I think it's view is superior to the Leica. For sure, it is much flatter across its expansive FOV. Try it with eyecups in different positions to see what works. Oh, and don't forget to get the IPD just right...that's an important factor with 4mm bins.

If you're talking about the 8X32 Swarovision then it has more eye relief than the 7X42 Ultravid. I've had them both. Personally, I find the 8X32 SV one of the easiest views to obtain of any 4mm bin and I think it's view is superior to the Leica. For sure, it is much flatter across its expansive FOV. Try it with eyecups in different positions to see what works. Oh, and don't forget to get the IPD just right...that's an important factor with 4mm bins.

Last year I attempted to go back to 8x32 format. Some people told me I hadn't given it enough time with glasses and quite a few people said the SV 8x32 is a lot better than other 8x32 bins for eyeglass wearers. Based on this, I ordered it and used it for 3 hours at a park. My conclusion was that 4mm EP is still 4mm. It was probably more comfortable than some 8x32's, but still doesn't compare to any 7x42 in terms of viewing comfort IMHO.

I noticed the glare issue (complained about here) within the first 30 minutes, but the flat field and razor sharp view was very impressive. It's a beautiful binocular, but in the end it couldn't replace my 7x42 Leica.

I may be just too picky about exit pupil and the OP may get along just fine with his SV if he can get the eyecup positioning just right to shorten the ER a bit.

The ER of the 7x42 UVHD+ is long enough for my wife to use with eyeglasses, but is a mm or two too short for me to use w/sunglasses. Of course, everyone's ER requirement is different but it is certainly possible that it's ER might come out to be just barely adequate for you.

OTOH, the Zeiss 7x42 FL's ER is enough for me to use w/both sunglasses and eyeglasses. Given the FL's noticeably wider FOV and slightly better contrast in lower light levels, I prefer it over the UVHD+, even though the Leica feels nicer in the hand. Consider the FL if you are looking into a 7x42. A good used example will certainly save you a significant amount of money over a new Leica.

The 8x32 EL SV has plenty of ER for me to use with eyeglasses and sunglasses. It is one of the many reasons why I like that bino so much.

Any thoughts pertaining to the UVHD+ 7x42 compared to the EL 8x32 SV for eyeglass use would be greatly appreciated.
I've owned both, and I think they're two of the best binoculars available (just my opinion, of course). I wear glasses, and I find both the 7xHD+ and the 8xSV provide more than enough eye relief for me; I need about 16mm, and if I twist the eye cups out to the first click it's just about perfect with either one. I encourage you to experiment with different adjustments of the eye cups to see if one or the other has a setting that works for you.

Thanks everyone for the advice, shared personal experiences, and preferences. Most helpful.

I've been using the eye cups fully extended, and things are working out a little better today. I'm still very interested in the UVHD+ 7x42 for sure, and we'll see how things develop near the end of the week. Not sure if I should order it right away to make direct comparisons. I easily, naturally fall in the equipment phreak mode, so the initial plan is to keep one bino for at least 6 mo before contemplating another, hahaha.

Hi....

I wear glasses....all the time. Either RayBans with progressive lenses OR Oakley sunglasses with progressive lenses. I'll keep to 7X and 8X... Here are my favorites and some of the most user-friendly....

Zeiss Victory FL 7X42- top notch both as a birding binocular and with eyeglass use. Out of production.
Zeiss Victory SF 8X42- top notch.

Swarovski SLC 7X42- out of production but GREAT binocular!
Swarovski SLC 8X42
Swarovski 8X32 Swarovison
Swarovski 8.5X42 Swarovison

Nikon EDG 8X42- awesome birding binocular for use with glasses

A little less expensive...
Maven 8X42- really nice binocular for the money...
Leica Trinovid HD 8X42- small and light

If I had to narrow down to three...FL 7X42, EDG 8X42, and 8.5X42 SV. These three will deliver.

Thanks everyone for the advice, shared personal experiences, and preferences. Most helpful.

I've been using the eye cups fully extended, and things are working out a little better today. I'm still very interested in the UVHD+ 7x42 for sure, and we'll see how things develop near the end of the week. Not sure if I should order it right away to make direct comparisons. I easily, naturally fall in the equipment phreak mode, so the initial plan is to keep one bino for at least 6 mo before contemplating another, hahaha.
If you wear eyeglasses, the eyecups should be completely closed. When they are extended you effectively shorten the eye relief, which severely limits the FOV if you wear eyeglasses.
https://procular.com.au/binoculars-eyeglasses/
Eyeglasses on left, naked eyes on right.

Last edited:
My bad, been using w/the eyecups fully closed.
Good. Now for one more variable to consider. I have a few pairs of eyeglasses using different frame/lens combinations. The best pair for bins is a close fitting titanium frame with very thin plastic lenses...high index I believe. In any case, another pair is a backup made of less expensive CR-39 plastic which is somewhat thicker. The comfort factor between the two is quite amazing. The thinner lenses produce a more comfortable full FOV, something I believe dramatically affects one's viewing pleasure. Eyeglasses also introduce aberrations that are usually ignored in binocular evaluations. CA comes to mind but that's another discussion.

Have fun!

PS
To reiterate...the 7X42 UV has less usable eye relief than the 8X32 SV. Also, the UV has soft edges and the perceived FOV in the 8X32 SV beats the Ultravid.
The UV is a great bin but the little 8X32 SV is in a class of its own.

Last edited:
Hi....

I wear glasses....all the time. Either RayBans with progressive lenses OR Oakley sunglasses with progressive lenses. I'll keep to 7X and 8X... Here are my favorites and some of the most user-friendly....

Zeiss Victory FL 7X42- top notch both as a birding binocular and with eyeglass use. Out of production.
Zeiss Victory SF 8X42- top notch.

Swarovski SLC 7X42- out of production but GREAT binocular!
Swarovski SLC 8X42
Swarovski 8X32 Swarovison
Swarovski 8.5X42 Swarovison

Nikon EDG 8X42- awesome birding binocular for use with glasses

A little less expensive...
Maven 8X42- really nice binocular for the money...
Leica Trinovid HD 8X42- small and light

If I had to narrow down to three...FL 7X42, EDG 8X42, and 8.5X42 SV. These three will deliver.

P.S. Thanks for your *impressive* list. It led to a couple hours of research this morning, and the solidifying of my ideas on which direction to take.

My bad, been using w/the eyecups fully closed.

Hi,

if you had the eyecups fully retracted, had problems with glasses on and assumed 20mm ER were too much, what happens if you extend them one click (effectively lessening the ER) and try again?

That of course will only correct possible blackout problems due to too much ER but not the borderline tricky eye placement / IPD setting of a 4mm exit pupil.

Joachim

Hi,

if you had the eyecups fully retracted, had problems with glasses on and assumed 20mm ER were too much, what happens if you extend them one click (effectively lessening the ER) and try again?

That of course will only correct possible blackout problems due to too much ER but not the borderline tricky eye placement / IPD setting of a 4mm exit pupil.

Joachim

With the eyecups extended one click, it *seems* to be either okay, or possibly with slightly less FOV. I'm still getting used to seeing through binoculars, and at the stage of learning what I'm seeing and how its affected by positioning. That and eventually developing the muscle memory to smoothen out the process.

As you mention I was having a tricky time with IPD adjustment, but since fiddling with it yesterday, the improvements that came about probably points to user error on my part. The sun will come up in a little while, and todays another day. :t:

With the eyecups extended one click, it *seems* to be either okay, or possibly with slightly less FOV. I'm still getting used to seeing through binoculars, and at the stage of learning what I'm seeing and how its affected by positioning. That and eventually developing the muscle memory to smoothen out the process.

As you mention I was having a tricky time with IPD adjustment, but since fiddling with it yesterday, the improvements that came about probably points to user error on my part. The sun will come up in a little while, and todays another day. :t:

Another binocular to consider is the new Nikon Monarch HG 8x42. If you prefer flat field, the new HG has a field flattener and a super wide FOV.

Also, 17.8mm ER and a larger exit pupil compared to the SV 8x32 may make for better viewing comfort. However, this changes from person to person and you will need to try different binoculars to see which has the most comfortable view for you. All of the bins mentioned on this thread are great ones.

I'm interested in the HG 10x42 even thought it has 4.2 mm EP. It will be for static/stationary viewing , so I should be able to get by OK with it...I hope.

The Nikon HG is about half price and isn't a top Swarovski , but some reviews have been good. One trusted reviewer said it's just OK, but it's best to try for yourself. I've tried binoculars which had great reviews here and they weren't a good fit for me for whatever reason.

The HG isn't available yet, but should be in the next couple of months or so.

Take everything I (and others) say with a grain of salt. I'm sure you'll find something that suits you well and you may even be able to stick with your SV after finding the right eyecup position. Good luck !

Thanks GG. Sl-o-o-wly working my way through the learning curve, I can now view with the lens floating slightly off my glasses. The longer eye relief on the SV feels just a *bit* more comfortable in that regard, than with the 17mm er of the x32 Meopro HD.

I'm assuming most users with glasses do the same (floating eyecup)? Earlier I used eyecup glass contact for stability.

Saw two pairs of White Terns on the wing this morning, there being a number of regular nesting trees in the vicinity.

Thanks GG. Sl-o-o-wly working my way through the learning curve, I can now view with the lens floating slightly off my glasses. The longer eye relief on the SV feels just a *bit* more comfortable in that regard, than with the 17mm er of the x32 Meopro HD.

I'm assuming most users with glasses do the same (floating eyecup)? Earlier I used eyecup glass contact for stability.

Saw two pairs of White Terns on the wing this morning, there being a number of regular nesting trees in the vicinity.

I always press the eyecups right against my glasses and it's fine with my ultravid and vortex bins....whatever works for you and is comfortable.

Those White Terns are pretty. I just googled them.

Good. Now for one more variable to consider. I have a few pairs of eyeglasses using different frame/lens combinations. The best pair for bins is a close fitting titanium frame with very thin plastic lenses...high index I believe. In any case, another pair is a backup made of less expensive CR-39 plastic which is somewhat thicker. The comfort factor between the two is quite amazing. The thinner lenses produce a more comfortable full FOV, something I believe dramatically affects one's viewing pleasure. Eyeglasses also introduce aberrations that are usually ignored in binocular evaluations. CA comes to mind but that's another discussion.

Have fun!

PS
To reiterate...the 7X42 UV has less usable eye relief than the 8X32 SV. Also, the UV has soft edges and the perceived FOV in the 8X32 SV beats the Ultravid.
The UV is a great bin but the little 8X32 SV is in a class of its own.

I normally using Ray Ban solid frames when out and about. I have the 2nd tier lenses from Lenscrafters, so they don't look thick at all. Still now that it seems I'll be wearing glasses instead of going back to contacts, I need to get a new prescription so I can set up one of my Oakley Half Jackets.

Thanks for the info on both UV and SV. Still I may very well try to transition to the UV 7x42, mostly for a more trouble free intro to this more than casual binocular use than I've been used to. Additionally most of the viewing characteristics I've read on the 7x UVHD+ definitely has appeal to me.

I always press the eyecups right against my glasses and it's fine with my ultravid and vortex bins....whatever works for you and is comfortable.

Those White Terns are pretty. I just googled them.

Thanks!

Not to go too far off topic, but I agree on the White Terns. They look almost pure white, and I see them quite often. They sometimes perform close investigations up to 10-15', perhaps protecting their nests.

...I can now view with the lens floating slightly off my glasses...I'm assuming most users with glasses do the same (floating eyecup)?...

I don't know anyone who does that. It would be very unstable and very uncomfortable. Eyecups go against glasses.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back