• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which teleconverter (1 Viewer)

doug_newman

HI all.

If all goes according to plan I am seriously keen on getting a Canon EOS 40D with a 300mm F2.8 IS lens. What teleconverter would you use on that? I have heard various reports even one of someone using a 300 2.8 with a 1.4 and 2x tele stacked. For all Canon users what teleconverters are you using and why? I am not sure whether to get the 2x or the 1.4 (if I can really stretch that far maybe even get both).

Cheers,
Doug

HI all.

If all goes according to plan I am seriously keen on getting a Canon EOS 40D with a 300mm F2.8 IS lens. What teleconverter would you use on that? I have heard various reports even one of someone using a 300 2.8 with a 1.4 and 2x tele stacked. For all Canon users what teleconverters are you using and why? I am not sure whether to get the 2x or the 1.4 (if I can really stretch that far maybe even get both).

Cheers,
Doug

I use the 1.4x on my 70-200mm f4 L lens (not the IS model) and my 300mm F4 L lens IS. I see very little degradation in resolution. (Note that the 300mm f4 lens, which is one of the oldest Canon IS lens, loses its IS with the teleconverter, the 300mm f2.8 lens does not). I think you will find some degradation with the 2x, and if you stack them even more, also you will lose AF when stacking them.

Hi Doug,

Scroll down these threads and take a look at the one about the 300 2.8 and 2x Tc started by CCRII, it may be of help.

I use the Kenko pro 1.4x tc on my 300d and Sigma 135-400mm.I notice hardly any IQ loss and retain full autofocus.Got mine from UR Galaxy,an Ebay shop.Cost was £60 something UK pounds including delivery and it was here in six days from Hong Kong.They will also mark the parcel as a gift to avoid import duty which is another bonus.Bear in mind that the attached pic was taken on my entry level gear so you should get even better results.

Attachments

• IMG_9269 copy.jpg
    IMG_9269 copy.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 133
I have both the Kenko Pro 1.4 and the Canon 1.4 and there is not a lot in it. But if I were spending £3k (ish) on a 300mm f2.8 then I would get a Canon converter, why settle for anything but the best.But I am not sure that you can stack two Canon converters because of the protrusion, it could be that the one nearest the Camera has to be a non Canon in which case the Kenko Pro is the obvious choice for one of them if you are going to stack them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back