• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will this lens+extender AF on this camera body? (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
Hey all, I was looking at getting the Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6l is ii usm with a 1.4 extender when I have finished school, and I was wondering 2 things.

1. With the extender on, what will the minimum f stop go to (f4.5 to f5.3 etc)

2. With the extender on, will my Canon EOS 700d autofocus with the lens and extender at minimum aperture?

Many thanks,
Ev

Hi Ev,

Canon says the EF 1.4 mkIII extender (latest version) with the 100-400mm would yield 140-560mm f/6-7.8. Close to my Sigma 150-600mm lens. I can't say for sure about the 700D but I was very successful using a much older Rebel model and a mk I extender with a 100-400mm mkI lens when I first got started. Being in the Rebel series I would expect that using the extender would slow both autofocus and frame rate, but probably still be usable using single point autofocus.

Hey all, I was looking at getting the Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6l is ii usm with a 1.4 extender when I have finished school, and I was wondering 2 things.

1. With the extender on, what will the minimum f stop go to (f4.5 to f5.3 etc)

2. With the extender on, will my Canon EOS 700d autofocus with the lens and extender at minimum aperture?

Many thanks,
Ev
With the 1.4x extender on you lose one stop so it goes to f8 on the long end. It works fairly well on both the 7d2 and 5d3, not sure if the 700d will AF at f8.

Hi Ev,

Canon says the EF 1.4 mkIII extender (latest version) with the 100-400mm would yield 140-560mm f/6-7.8. Close to my Sigma 150-600mm lens. I can't say for sure about the 700D but I was very successful using a much older Rebel model and a mk I extender with a 100-400mm mkI lens when I first got started. Being in the Rebel series I would expect that using the extender would slow both autofocus and frame rate, but probably still be usable using single point autofocus.
When you say much older Rebel model is this the 7D original, if so it would not AF at f8 (without doing the old pin taping trick). The 7DMk2 was the first Canon 1.6 cropper to allow AF at f8 albeit centre point and centre point expansion only.

I had to look it up myself, but Canon sells the entry level DSLR cameras under the "Rebel" designation in the USA. What I originally had was a 500d to the rest of the world. Long before the 7D first came out. I do remember that it was slow to autofocus but sometimes just wouldn't, but in general, with enough persistence, it would manage. I gave it away to a nephew when I picked up the 7Dmkii.

I had to look it up myself, but Canon sells the entry level DSLR cameras under the "Rebel" designation in the USA. What I originally had was a 500d to the rest of the world. Long before the 7D first came out. I do remember that it was slow to autofocus but sometimes just wouldn't, but in general, with enough persistence, it would manage. I gave it away to a nephew when I picked up the 7Dmkii.
Like all of the other Canon 1.6 crop cameras at that time the Rebel/500d would most certainly NOT AF at all at over f5.6. Which lens were you using at the time as it depends on the 'speed' (max aperture of the lens) , You say you were using the 100-400 mkI- It would not have AF'd at all with 1.4x tc that is for certain as this takes it to f8 at the long end The Camera would not have even tried to AF. You must have remembered wrong I am afraid..

Last edited:
No, I wasn't using the Extender at that time. I wasn't clear enough about that. Even without it the autofocus was finicky. Nothing like the 7Dii that I upgraded to.

No, I wasn't using the Extender at that time. I wasn't clear enough about that. Even without it the autofocus was finicky. Nothing like the 7Dii that I upgraded to.
As I already knew your statement "I was very successful using a much older Rebel model and a mk I extender with a 100-400mm mkI lens" was completely wrong and very misleading to the OP - I am glad you have admitted it.

A quick question, (for context I'm getting the 7d Mk ii soon) do I need to manually turn on crop sensor mode, or is it enabled through a switch which I can flick on and off? What I'm basically trying to get at is, do I need to turn on a mode that turns on the crop sensor or is it always going to be a crop sensor?
Many thanks,
Ev

A quick question, (for context I'm getting the 7d Mk ii soon) do I need to manually turn on crop sensor mode, or is it enabled through a switch which I can flick on and off? What I'm basically trying to get at is, do I need to turn on a mode that turns on the crop sensor or is it always going to be a crop sensor?
Many thanks,
Ev
Its always a crop sensor.

Cheers

John

So immediately adding a 100-400 mk2 would make it a 160-640 correct? I'm also looking at an extender but I'm not sure I would need it even though the lens would be a f7.1 autofocusing 900mm (basically).
Yes, although in use you don't think about it, frankly. You look at the image and decide whether to take the shot. Personally I prefer bare lens and crop in post to risking degradation of the image with an extender, but the latest extenders are supposed to be excellent.

John

When I go to America in late July, I will hire out a mark3 1.4 extender, to see how the image quality fairs, and compare the images with and without the extender. Some people said they had some excellent shots with this combination so I'm willing to give it a go.

When I go to America in late July, I will hire out a mark3 1.4 extender, to see how the image quality fairs, and compare the images with and without the extender. Some people said they had some excellent shots with this combination so I'm willing to give it a go.

To give you an idea this was taken with a 7D MKII, 100-400mm MKII and 1.4x MKIII

IMG_0796.jpg

Edit : should have been 1.4x MKIII

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back