• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Audubon endorsing pesticide use (1 Viewer)

jwpines

I am an Audubon member, very active - a chapter president - and I am appalled by what the National organization proposes to do.

This is one of those times that I feel we all need to join forces and speak out on the following: National Audubon’s intention to ally itself with chemical pesticide manufacturers!!!

For more than forty years, the National Audubon Society has been involved with the national effort to reduce and eliminate the use of pesticides, especially for aesthetic purposes. So it is alarming to see that National Audubon is poised to join with the Monsanto Corporation, DuPont, Dow AgroScience, the Scotts Corporation and other pesticide manufacturers, to publicly endorse the use of pesticides on lawns and gardens.

A consumer guideline, entitled “Environmental Guidelines for Responsible Lawn Care and Landscaping,” (written primarily by the pesticide industry - and apparently agreed to by representatives from both Audubon and the National Wildlife Federation as part of this alliance)- is scheduled to be finalized at the Lawns and Environment Conference next week in San Antonio, Texas.

In a nutshell, the guidelines promote the use of chemical pesticides by homeowners ~ couched in “expert advice” on lawn and landscape care.

The point is that these guidelines will be flaunting the Audubon/National Wildlife names wherever pesticides are sold NATIONWIDE, confusing consumers and sending a false and dangerous message about pesticide use.

Not many consumers (if any) will go through the guide thoroughly, and/or be able to pick out the sound advice from the pro-pesticide advice. Most will just assume these toxic chemicals are “safe” , since Audubon’s name will be in front of them. Make no mistake - the Audubon name will be trumpeted by the pesticide industry as it rolls over any effort to curtail pesticide use in this country – if these guidelines go forward.

Historically, when it came to protecting the environment Audubon has spoken with authority and integrity.

When Rachel Carson wrote “Silent Spring,” the National Audubon Society stood firmly by her side as the giant pesticide companies sought to derail her noble effort. One can only imagine her reaction to learn that Audubon has taken such a step to reverse its position and is now standing side by side with those same companies!

Now, Audubon has a shocking alliance with the manufacturers of the very pesticides that have killed untold millions of birds and other wildlife, polluted our land and water, taxed our bodies (and the bodies of wildlife) with a chemical body burden that affects the very quality of life on earth. And it undercuts years of effort and progress by individual members, citizens, state and local Audubon chapters and other environmental organizations to reduce or eliminate the use of pesticides for aesthetic lawn care. More importantly, it erodes the trust thousands have placed in the name “Audubon”. With this alliance, Audubon is publicly promoting the use of pesticides, (no matter how carefully worded the endorsement might be), and sends the wrong message to homeowners across this country.

We need to STOP AUDUBON from following through on this ill-advised, irrevocable and perilous action!

There is a meeting to finalize these guidelines next week – we need to act NOW.

1. Call the National Audubon headquarters at (212) 979-3000 TODAY or Monday and let them know how you feel. Ask for Public Relations.

2. E-mail Audubon’s top executives and tell them how you feel:

· Bob Perciasepe, Chief Operating Officer, at [email protected]

· John Flicker, President, at [email protected].

· You may get an “out of office” reply, but that’s OK. Two other phone numbers come up on the out of office reply, so you can call them as well: “Contact Eddie Flaherty in DC with Washington questions (202 861 2242) and Sue Mackey in NY with NY questions (212 979 3071)

E-mail John Bianchi in the Press Office of Audubon: [email protected]
4. If you live in MASS., please note that Massachusetts Audubon is a separate organization from the National Audubon. You may want to call them (781-259-9500) and ask them to send their protest to National Audubon.

You can read how the chemical pesticide industry is positioning this campaign by cutting and pasting the following into your search engine.

http://grounds-mag.com/ar/grounds_maintenance_environmental_groups_lawn/

However, please be aware that they neglect to tell you that the group RISE (Responsible Industry for a Sustainable Environment) is a organization made up of Monsanto, Dow Chemical, Du Pont, Scotts, to name a few of the major pesticide manufacturers!) ~ and that Monsanto has given National Audubon a donation of $2 million!!! To see the article on the donation cut and paste

http://www.audubon.org/news/press_releases/Montsano_Release.html

Please forward this email on to your own email lists –garden clubs, naturalists, birders, environmental groups, concerned citizens, friends and family across the state, across the country.

That stinks! It almost makes me want to have been a member of the Audubon Society just so that I could leave the Organization in protest!!

Sounds like they're selling themselves to the highest corp. sugar-daddy that will pitch in a buck. Makes one SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I applaud your willingness to take a public stance here.

The truth is that Audubon is probably the most corporate-friendly, "stodgy" mainstream environmental organization out there (along with the Environmental Defense Fund). Whereas here in the liberal-oriented San Francisco Bay Area the local chapter tends toward the activist and progressive, my father's Atlanta, Georgia, chapter has needed to be dragged kicking and screaming into taking any stands at all that might offend powerful special interests.

Audubon also tends to be more tightly controlled from the top down than are some other environmental organizations ("entrenched" is the term I've heard used). But if more of its members raise a fuss about this kind of issue, the leaders will listen, I'm sure.
Doug Greenberg, Berkeley, California, USA

At the risk of being ostracized for being a pro industry/anti conservation rebel (which I am not) I have to ask myself several questions here. First, I see that jwpines joined the forum on 3/12/04, and this is the first and only post in that persons profile, which in and of itself is fine, we all started somewhere. Going to all the forums one can find and making a post such as this would indeed be a more effective way of getting one's voice heard than standing on an streetcorner shouting. Still, I have my doubts as to how much communication we will have after this. My second concern is: how many of the people who will be more than willing to jump on the bandwagon with emails and phone calls protesting Audobon's endorsement will actually take the time to study the guide being endorsed beforehand? Not many I would surmise. We will all take the position that if someone says it is wrong it must be so because "big business" is involved. Don't get me wrong, there IS much that is wrong about "big business" these days, but on the other hand this great country of ours would be in a hell a shape without it, and we need to bear that in mind as well. As with any communication of this sort, I would urge everyone to study the issue for themselves.

National Audubon and pesticide manufacturers.

"This is one of those times that I feel we all need to join forces and speak out on the following:" WHY??. Against or for??

"National Audubon’s intention to ally itself with chemical pesticide manufacturers!!!"

Well, as they say, it's easier to influence from within, than without. To my way of thinking, this will be a good move. A better perspective from both sides will be understood.

Malky @ Westhill

I agree that people should actually see what is being discussed and agreed upon at this conference before condemning the Audubon Society. Meanwhile, I found the following during a web search:

http://www.audubon.org/chapter/ny/ny/advocate/2002winter/14.pdf

Under Audubon's guise the advice here is for homeowners to seek alternative approaches to lawn care, including eschewing the use of chemicals. So perhaps Audubon feels it is better to participate in "constructive engagement" with these industries on the assumption that many homeowners will not be reached any other way.

Let's wait and see. Certainly quitting Audubon in protest is not going to help things.

However, I stand by what I said previously about Audubon's tendency toward top-down policymaking and its tendencies in many regions of the country to back off from confrontations with industries and developers that other environmental organizations take on courageously.

Let me add that of course we can't imagine our current societies without "big business," but the sad truth is that "business" rarely adopts environmental reforms without considerable pressure from environmentalists and consumers. Yet once such reforms are forcibly implemented, corporations like to pretend that they thought of them in the first place. Environmentalist cynicism in this regard is quite justified by the track record to date of big corporations.

Corporate whore

jwpines said:
I am an Audubon member, very active - a chapter president - and I am appalled by what the National organization proposes to do.

This is one of those times that I feel we all need to join forces and speak out on the following: National Audubon’s intention to ally itself with chemical pesticide manufacturers!!!

For more than forty years, the National Audubon Society has been involved with the national effort to reduce and eliminate the use of pesticides, especially for aesthetic purposes. So it is alarming to see that National Audubon is poised to join with the Monsanto Corporation, DuPont, Dow AgroScience, the Scotts Corporation and other pesticide manufacturers, to publicly endorse the use of pesticides on lawns and gardens.

A consumer guideline, entitled “Environmental Guidelines for Responsible Lawn Care and Landscaping,” (written primarily by the pesticide industry - and apparently agreed to by representatives from both Audubon and the National Wildlife Federation as part of this alliance)- is scheduled to be finalized at the Lawns and Environment Conference next week in San Antonio, Texas.

In a nutshell, the guidelines promote the use of chemical pesticides by homeowners ~ couched in “expert advice” on lawn and landscape care.

The point is that these guidelines will be flaunting the Audubon/National Wildlife names wherever pesticides are sold NATIONWIDE, confusing consumers and sending a false and dangerous message about pesticide use.

Not many consumers (if any) will go through the guide thoroughly, and/or be able to pick out the sound advice from the pro-pesticide advice. Most will just assume these toxic chemicals are “safe” , since Audubon’s name will be in front of them. Make no mistake - the Audubon name will be trumpeted by the pesticide industry as it rolls over any effort to curtail pesticide use in this country – if these guidelines go forward.

Historically, when it came to protecting the environment Audubon has spoken with authority and integrity.

When Rachel Carson wrote “Silent Spring,” the National Audubon Society stood firmly by her side as the giant pesticide companies sought to derail her noble effort. One can only imagine her reaction to learn that Audubon has taken such a step to reverse its position and is now standing side by side with those same companies!

Now, Audubon has a shocking alliance with the manufacturers of the very pesticides that have killed untold millions of birds and other wildlife, polluted our land and water, taxed our bodies (and the bodies of wildlife) with a chemical body burden that affects the very quality of life on earth. And it undercuts years of effort and progress by individual members, citizens, state and local Audubon chapters and other environmental organizations to reduce or eliminate the use of pesticides for aesthetic lawn care. More importantly, it erodes the trust thousands have placed in the name “Audubon”. With this alliance, Audubon is publicly promoting the use of pesticides, (no matter how carefully worded the endorsement might be), and sends the wrong message to homeowners across this country.

We need to STOP AUDUBON from following through on this ill-advised, irrevocable and perilous action!

There is a meeting to finalize these guidelines next week – we need to act NOW.

1. Call the National Audubon headquarters at (212) 979-3000 TODAY or Monday and let them know how you feel. Ask for Public Relations.

2. E-mail Audubon’s top executives and tell them how you feel:

· Bob Perciasepe, Chief Operating Officer, at [email protected]

· John Flicker, President, at [email protected].

· You may get an “out of office” reply, but that’s OK. Two other phone numbers come up on the out of office reply, so you can call them as well: “Contact Eddie Flaherty in DC with Washington questions (202 861 2242) and Sue Mackey in NY with NY questions (212 979 3071)

E-mail John Bianchi in the Press Office of Audubon: [email protected]
4. If you live in MASS., please note that Massachusetts Audubon is a separate organization from the National Audubon. You may want to call them (781-259-9500) and ask them to send their protest to National Audubon.

You can read how the chemical pesticide industry is positioning this campaign by cutting and pasting the following into your search engine.

http://grounds-mag.com/ar/grounds_maintenance_environmental_groups_lawn/

However, please be aware that they neglect to tell you that the group RISE (Responsible Industry for a Sustainable Environment) is a organization made up of Monsanto, Dow Chemical, Du Pont, Scotts, to name a few of the major pesticide manufacturers!) ~ and that Monsanto has given National Audubon a donation of $2 million!!! To see the article on the donation cut and paste

http://www.audubon.org/news/press_releases/Montsano_Release.html

Please forward this email on to your own email lists –garden clubs, naturalists, birders, environmental groups, concerned citizens, friends and family across the state, across the country.

I to am a chapter president and it is sad to see my organization becoming a corporate whore. Howver, it is less difficult to make change from within. :C

I wait and see what happens here. For the record the major companies listed are also into polluting our planet with artificially created crops using spliced-in genes from very different species -GM- all in the name of the $, lots of them. Please don't be fooled by the notion that this is the only way we can feed the world using such crops - poor distribution of wealth & expertise, war, bad governance is the real reason why so many people are starving and these crops can't help that. Anyway enough of the soapbox...

I'm not don't know much about how Audubon works but I suspect the acceptence of a gift from big chemical company will comprimise it's position on this and other subjects in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back