• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few shots with the Ricoh GX100 (1 Viewer)

vkalia

Robin stroker
I had tried using my Canon G9 with my Vortex Skyline 20-60x80ED scope but was getting a lot of vignetting. As it turns out, a friend has purchased my G9 and I have gotten me a Ricoh GX100 for street shooting. However, I decided to give the Ricoh a shot today, while out in my patch.

Be warned that this is my first serious attempt at digiscoping, and as I was checking for vignetting primarily, I handheld the camera against the scope: not exactly a recipe for high quality shots. Lastly, the camera was at 400 ISO in JPEG mode - and for all its virtues, the GX100 is an absolute dog at high ISOs in JPEG mode.

Shot #1, taken with the scope at 20x and the Ricoh at max zoom (72mm in 35mm equivalent):
doves1.jpg

Shot is straight out of camera, just re-sized. Flat, lacking contrast and sharp.

Crop of Shot #1:
doves1-crop.jpg

15 seconds of PP - curves, level, saturation and sharpening - and this 3MP crop of the original image is starting to look fairly decent. Shot in RAW and processed with Noise Ninja, it would give a nice, clean background. And mounting the camera, instead of handholding it, would improve sharpness some more.

Shot #2: 20x on scope, 72mm on the Ricoh:
crested-serpent-eagle.jp

The image is lacking a bit in terms of fine detail and resolution, but a lot better than what it would look if taken with a 400mm lens on a DSLR and cropped.

I am quite kicked with these results - tomorrow, I attach the adapter and start taking shots for real.

I thought folks might be interested in this, as the Ricoh is one of the few cameras that DOES offer a RAW mode.

Vandit

Last edited:
Vandit,
You be able to get some nice digiscoped images from this camera but it is noisy over iso 100.
There is a thread here on it
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=91401

To reduce vignetting it would be better to not to use the Ricoh adapter but I haven't been able to find a third party 52 mm adapter for it (it takes a 43 mm thread ) but a universal type adapter would get the best out of the very sharp lens.
Neil.

Hi Neil -

Yep, it is noisy as sin in camera-default JPEG. I plan to try it out using RAW and Noise Ninja - from my experiences with the Panasonic LX1 (another very good but noisy camera), it should yield a significant reduction in noise. Have you given it a shot? Some of the images you posted in that thread look stunning (DSLR quality) and show a lot less noise... low ISO or RAW?

Re. adapters - I have the Vortex adapter, which is what I plan to use. If I start getting consistently good results, I'll find a way to block out external light from the gap between the EP and the camera lens.

I'll also try the Canon S70, which has, IMO, one of the best all-around sensors for digicams to date.

Vandit

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back