• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 (4 Viewers)

I find the objective covers work just fine: they appear to fit fairly securely, and I've attached them to the strap, near the strap lug, with a piece of black shoelace, to make sure I don't lose them when removed for viewing. The rainguard I've lined with successive thicknesses of electrical tape until there's enough thickness for them to grip the eyecups reasonably securely. That seems to work reasonably well. Maybe not pretty, but it's effective in use.

...Mike

Thanks Mike, I´ll try the elctric tape solution. I don´t care for the looks, the Sightrons are pretty ugly anyway but I want a secure fit. I love the rainguard and lenscovers for my Leica Trinovid. But they do not fit for the sightron, otherwise I would order a pair. I´ll report on how it works with the tape. Many thanks, B

What about the Vortex rainguards for Razor or Viper? In Europe we can order them easily from the UK, has anyone tried them on the Sightrons?

Last edited:
What about the Vortex rainguards for Razor or Viper? In Europe we can order them easily from UK, has anyone tried them on the Sightrons?
I have some cheaper Vortex bins (think: Diamondback, not Razor) and haven't found that any I have fit my Sightrons at all, let alone well. YMMV with the more expensive Vortex options - I haven't tried, so can't say.

...Mike

P.S. I find the objective covers that came with my SII BS 8x32s are just fine, and a bit of tape inside the rain guard works wonders (as noted above).

Thank you mfunnel, I've just lined the rainguard inside with self-adhesive foam tape (made for window seal), in order to tighten the eyecups and it works well. I hope it will last some time.

Hi lovely people! I'm new to the world of binoculars. As you already know, it's not easy to make a choice when you're on a budget. After days of reading and comparing I might pick these Sightrons. Can anyone tell me the IPD of the current Blue Sky 8x32? There was a post in 2011 saying that minimum is 55 mm. Is this still correct? Where the Blue Skies then open bridge as well?

thanks

Hi lovely people! I'm new to the world of binoculars. As you already know, it's not easy to make a choice when you're on a budget. After days of reading and comparing I might pick these Sightrons. Can anyone tell me the IPD of the current Blue Sky 8x32? There was a post in 2011 saying that minimum is 55 mm. Is this still correct? Where the Blue Skies then open bridge as well?

thanks
All the same as the initial reports. Nothing much has changed - they're still very nice binoculars offering excellent value at a low price-point. And, yes, open bridge, dual hinge, then and now. I'm away from home at the moment, so don't have access to my (relatively recent) pair - but if they were 55mm min IPD back when, then they still are now.

...Mike

Hello. I'm new to the forum and read most of this thread.

Wondering if anyone has compared them to the vanguard endeavor ii? I can get the vanguard new for 250 with the current rebate and a sale at gander mountain. Not sure if I would notice a difference between the 2. I'm not a bino aficionado or anything. I currently have a pair of Alpen Shasta Ridge 8x42 I use.

These will be primarily for hunting.

Thanks for any input

Last edited:
Hello. I'm new to the forum and read most of this thread.

Wondering if anyone has compared them to the vanguard endeavor ii? I can get the vanguard new for 250 with the current rebate and a sale at gander mountain. Not sure if I would notice a difference between the 2. I'm not a bino aficionado or anything. I currently have a pair of Alpen Shasta Ridge 8x42 I use.

These will be primarily for hunting.

Thanks for any input

The B.S. 8x32 and the Endeavor ED II 8x32 are similar in sharpness of view. However, the ED II is a bit brighter. The B.S. is noticeably wider. There are other differences, but as a whole one is not substantially better than the other. Since there is a significant difference in price, I would say that the B.S. is the much better buy.

That being said - I would recommend to anyone wanting a hunting bino to consider a 42mm instead of a 32mm.

Thanks mooreorless!

Hi Devans, I can not believe I missed this, wow and in July. Time flies!:eek!: Glad I could help, well Frank D helped comparing my binocular of which I bought off a very good fellow from UK and he gave me a very good deal!Thanks once again Samandag!

Regards, Steve

Last edited:
Speaking of which Steve, I need to get it back to you. Will do so shortly. Email/PM me your address.

On another note, somehow I missed it but last month marks the 5 year anniversary of my Sightron BS SII 8x32s. I still have them and, other than some scratches on the rubber armor, are working as if I bought them yesterday. Zero complaints.

Another year in the books to prove they are reliable over the long term.

Sightron II 8x32 vs. Celestron Nature DX 8x32 vs. Athlon Midas 8x42

Rather than create yet another Sightron thread. I thought I would bump this informative but ponderous thread that is largely responsible for my most recent purchase. I have had the Sightron II 8x32 Blue Sky binocular in hand for only a few days, but it landed during a time of extensive (obsessive?) binocular testing and turmoil. I have been comparing it to two other roof prism binoculars, the Celestron Nature DX 8x32 which is about $100 cheaper, and the Athlon Midas 8x42 which is about $100 more expensive. Prior to these roof prism adventures, my most used binoculars for daytime were Canon 10x30 IS, and at night I use Canon 15x45 IS. My historical and sentimental reference binocular is a 1980s vintage Fujinon Meibo 7x50, a large Porro prism sealed binocular with individual focus oculars.

I like several ergonomic aspects of the Sightron. The narrow eyecups (39mm) fit my IPD and face much better than either the Midas, the DX, or frankly any other binocular I own. I find it well balanced and easy to hold with the open frame design, and it is considerably lighter than the Midas and marginally lighter than the DX. It is easier to hold steady than the DX and similar in steadiness to the Midas, though the Midas is better. The Sightron feels like a slim 8x42 rather than an 8x32. Perhaps the Midas is a relatively compact 8x42. I feel like I am already pulling for the Sightron optics because I like it in hand, around my neck, and literally in my face.

So far, the optics do not disappoint, the Sightron views are more in the class of the Midas than the DX. The sweet spot on this one is larger than the DX and similar to or perhaps slightly smaller than the Midas judged as a percentage, but the Midas has a larger field of view. I have not done detailed tripod testing of optics and field of view yet and I know that perceived sweet spot can differ from more careful measurement. The Sightron snaps to focus better and is sharper on-axis than the DX but again it is comparable to if just slightly behind the Midas. To my eyes, the color balance of the Sightron is a bit warmer than the Midas or the DX. The Midas is brighter in twilight, near darkness and slightly brighter in daylight. Since aperture should not be a factor in brighter scenes, I would expect the Midas to have at least marginally superior transmission. OTH, the Sightron has a surprising amount of contrast on-axis, so that it seems to do more with less aperture--subtle differences in shading can be distinguished, even with slightly less light and in low light situations. In this respect it keeps up with the Midas in low light much better than the DX. The DX view seems slightly veiled compared to the other two. The sharpness and contrast of the DX on-axis are not bad, but they are noticeably worse than the Sightron or the Midas.

The one area where the Sightron bests the Midas optically is stray light (glare?). I only detected this at night with a street lamp just outside the field of view of the Midas. It is not severe, but it is definitely there. Any stray light from outside the field of view, or any light scattered out of the field of view will reduce contrast. No such issue seen with the Sightron. Perhaps that is part of the contrast magic? I look forward to the appearance of the Moon (unusual for me since I generally prefer deep sky observing). I want to do glare and resolution tests of Sightron vs. Midas on the Moon. On a related note, the bitter edge of the field (last 10% next to the field stop) dims a bit more in the Midas compared to its on-axis performance. Again, the field of the Midas is wider so perhaps this is to be expected.

Overall the Midas is a bit better optically in most respects. It is brighter. I think this is more than psychological at 42 vs. 32, and I look forward to testing that at night. The rest of my evaluation is rather subjective, but the colors pop a bit more (could be either slightly better transmission or personal preference for color balance), the field of view and % sweet spot are better, the depth of focus seems slightly better, and it is a bit easier to hold steady. So far my testing has been done looking out from indoors or from a shaded balcony looking out, so I will be curious to see how the Midas and Sightron do in an outdoor setting. It's possible that the better fit of eyecups to my eye sockets and better stray light control would help the Sightron under some conditions.

I also have to give the advantage in fit and finish to the Midas. The rubber coating seems thicker and I prefer the Midas texturing to the Sightron logo bumps. The operation of the eyecups feels more precise. The Midas has more focus resistance, which I prefer, but it also feels a bit spongey to me when I make small adjustments, which I don't like. The Midas neck strap is far superior and I prefer the Midas rainguard and objective covers. Both cases are equally meh.

So why do I enjoy using the Sightron so much, beside the fact that it is a new toy? It is less tiring to carry or to hold. I like the fit to my face and the open frame design. The view is quite relaxed, and the on-axis contrast/sharpness gives me the impression that I am giving up nothing but weight. Also, who doesn't like a good deal?

Alan

P.S. I did a quick urban night sky test this evening. Sightron was about .5 mag behind Midas in faintest star with averted vision. That is very consistent with aperture difference. And I actually did estimate the observed magnitude difference before I calculated the theoretical difference expected between 32 and 42. I'll post a dark sky comparison when I get some data.

Great comparative post Alan. Your observations and comparisons are very similar to my own in comparing these two models. I have both and thoroughly enjoy using each. I have come to appreciate their own particular attributes rather than trying to rank one over the other overall. It makes it less stressful for me. :)

It turns out that after more careful testing, my Athlon Midas 8x42 had a collimation error and have been shipped back. This was a disappointment, since I liked many aspects of the Midas. I asked for a refund rather than a replacement so I could ponder my next move--perhaps I may try a higher end binocular or a highly portable spotting scope.

But here's the thing, I'm really not really missing the Midas as I am enjoying the Sightron so much. And they are so comfortable to use, I am looking through them rather than at them. I've actually identifying a few interesting birds using the Sightron and my telescope cum spotting scope. Who would have thought? Don't tell my astronomy buddies that I am moving to 'The Light Side." I even asked for a copy of Sibley's for xmas.

Alan

Hee hee, the Sightron claims another.

;)

As for the highly portable spotting scope....Opticron MM3 50 mm or 60 mm. Excellent optics, super light weight and affordable for most folks. Phonescoped pic with the MM3 60 mm and my Iphone 6S attached....

Attachments

• moon.jpg
    moon.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 208

;)

As for the highly portable spotting scope....Opticron MM3 50 mm or 60 mm. Excellent optics, super light weight and affordable for most folks. Phonescoped pic with the MM3 60 mm and my Iphone 6S attached....

I get it, you sucker them in with the sub $200 Sightron and then tell 'em that the 60mm Opticron scope is affordable for $800. What about a tripod for the Opticron? And don't "gitzo me." ;)

Where do I get my hand basket?

Alan

;)

Thanks Frank ! The MM3 50/60 must be a good scope but your lunar capture is a little harsh ; it's difficult for me to see the micro-contrasts performance of this little scope ;)

Fedex says my new Opticron MM3 60mm spotting scope will arrive tomorrow. I have tripods around the house to test it out, but nothing that matches the portability of the little Opticron. But that is fodder for another thread, actually more like an ongoing discussion in the spotting scope forum.

I will probably do a quick initial thoughts review and comparison with my astroscope over there

Alan

Link to initial review of MM3 60

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back