• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

12x50 options (1 Viewer)

Gus Daly

Hi all,

I'm interested in anyone's thoughts or experience with highish end 12x50's. I currently have Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42's which are quite sharp and bright though I have noticed some 'ghosting' with high contrast images and CA in overcast conditions.

My primary birding is pelagics, seawatching and shorebirding so I think 12x50 is a logical option (or at least 10x50). So far I have been looking at Meopta Meostar HD 12x50 and Vortex Razor HD 12x50, how do these two stack up against say the Swaro 12x50 or Leica options? (both out of my price range).

Many thanks,
Gus.

Hello Gus. Welcome to BirdForum. Personally, I would not entertain using any bins greater than 10x because I would never be able to hold them steady. Now, if I were going to use them on a ship, that would add to the problem. In that situation I would probably go for 8x although I use 10x for land-based seawatching.

Gus,

Welcome to the forum.

I like the Vortex Razor HD 10x50 a lot. The ergonomics of light weight and slim body suite me, and on the infrequent opportunities I've had to try it, the view quality I felt was really very good. Unfortunately the CA levels of the 12x50 were unacceptable for me. Individuals do vary in their sensitivity to CA, but it sounds like it could be an issue for you as well.

We don't get the HD version of the Meopta Meostar 10x50 in Europe. I've compared the regular and the HD version of the 10x42 a couple of times, and the HD has better CA control but also a slightly chrisper image. At the time the HD appeared to have the more neutral colour balance, but that is something Meopta has improved over time and the samples may have been different ages. The HD version of the 10x50 is available as the Cabela's Instinct Euro HD from the US.

I know you had a look at my report on the Meostar 12x50HD and hopefully got the message that I thought it was exceptional, one of the best binoculars I've tried for sure. However, there are particlar are things I look for in a binocular which the Meopta delivers, but others would have different priorities.

The Razor HD 10x50 might be easier to handle but I'd go for the higher performance of the Meopta. I'm not particularly keen on the Swarovski ELSV 12x50, but it might be that field flatness or some other feature is more important to you. I've not tried the Ultravid HD+ 12x50 in good enough light to offer an opinion.

David

I got a pair of Swarovski SV 12x50's about 2 months ago. Eye relief was a big driver for me. Can't say enough good about them. For short viewing quick looks I can hold the 12x without too much trouble. I put a couple of fingers around the bill of my cap to help steady things. Makes a big difference. Plan on getting a tripod adapter.

Hi Gus,

Can,t help from personal experience as I only ever had one hand held 12x, a Nikon, I sold it as I prefer lower magnification, but I'm guessing you plan to use a tripod with 12x? Will be a challenge to keep steady for very long hand held, some image shake is inevitable. I have seen the Vortex Razor HD 12x50 has very good reviews. Good luck.

Hi Gus,
The Canon 15x50IS stabilized binoculars might be well suited for your purposes. They are waterproof, have great reach and the stabilization feature really transforms sea watching. They are big and heavy though, 2.6 lbs. The smaller 12x36IS is much more compact and lighter, only 1.5 lbs.

The Canon 15x50 IS and 18x50 IS are All Weather, but not waterproof in the full sense.
I don't think one can immerse them in water.

I have used many 12x unstabilised binoculars hand held for decades, but it is a personal thing.
12x40, 12x45, 12x50, 12x56.

The only one not suitable was a 12x30.

Also 15x70, 15x80, 20x 60, and 20x80. But stablised as much as possible on car roofs, fences, trees etc. But sometimes just handheld no support.

Hi Gus,

welcome to birdforum. As others have stated, a 12x or higher pair is ntr very useful without stabilisation or some kind of support (tripod, monopod or finnstick).

There remains the question if your usage profile is not better served with a small spotter in addition to 10x bins.

Joachim

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the kind welcomes.

I must admit you's have slightly talked me out of 12x50's though several other local birdo's seem to use them handheld with no issue.

If I do decide not to go with 12x50's, what are my options for an upgrade over my 10x42 conquest HD's? Top Swaro, Zeiss and Leica are probably out of reach but what is the next best option? Low CA and sharpness are a priority. Here is the list of bins I'm already considering:

Vortex Razor HD 10x50
Meopta Meostar HD 10x42 (don't think there is a 10x50)
Swarovski SLC WB 10x42

Many thanks,
Gus.

Maven B.2 in 9x45 or 11x45? They do ship to Oz, at quite reasonable rates (I bought B.3 6x30s from them). You might be on the hook for GST.

...Mike

Last edited:
Hi,

not trying to talk you out of a 12x50 - if you have birders with those around (not happening over here), by all means try if you can hold it steady for more than a few seconds - I can't.

Or go stabilised - the Canon 12x36, 15x50 and 10x42 are all nice with the latter being exceptional, but 10x only.

Joachim

Thanks everyone for the kind welcomes.

Meopta Meostar HD 10x42 (don't think there is a 10x50)

Gus.

Yes there is a 10x50, and it is actually quite a good instrument.
However, the 10x42 HD is in my view even better and overall the more "rounded" bino (I happen to have both). If the weight (just over a kilogram with strap and eyepiece caps) is not an issue, the 10x42 seems a very good choice to me.

The Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 is another excellent binocular. Not light, but pretty steady in my hands and the CA control second to none IMO. I've briefly tried an unbranded version of the Maven B2 9x45 which looked very good. I suspect the 11x45 might be worth considering as Mike suggests.

David

ah yes, might as well throw the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 into the mix. I wonder how the sharpness and edge to edge clarity compares to the Meostar's or even Swarovski EL's?

The Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 is another excellent binocular. Not light, but pretty steady in my hands and the CA control second to none IMO. I've briefly tried an unbranded version of the Maven B2 9x45 which looked very good. I suspect the 11x45 might be worth considering as Mike suggests.

David

David,

This unbranded version you speak of, is it available in the UK/EU?

Thanks,

George

Hi all,

I'm interested in anyone's thoughts or experience with highish end 12x50's. I currently have Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42's which are quite sharp and bright though I have noticed some 'ghosting' with high contrast images and CA in overcast conditions.

My primary birding is pelagics, seawatching and shorebirding so I think 12x50 is a logical option (or at least 10x50). So far I have been looking at Meopta Meostar HD 12x50 and Vortex Razor HD 12x50, how do these two stack up against say the Swaro 12x50 or Leica options? (both out of my price range).

Many thanks,
Gus.
I tested 10X50 and 12X50 SV's side-by-side in the field on several occassions. There is nothing you'll see in the 12X50 that you won't see in the 10X50 AND the 10X50 is easier to use. There's a serious drop in information when you hit 12X and the only solution is stabilization. If you're on shore the best option is a spotting scope. Find them in the bin and ID them in the scope.

The best 12x50 is the stabilized Canon 10x42 IS. You'll get more detail with that pair than with any 12x50.

Hermann

I tested 10X50 and 12X50 SV's side-by-side in the field on several occassions. There is nothing you'll see in the 12X50 that you won't see in the 10X50 AND the 10X50 is easier to use. There's a serious drop in information when you hit 12X and the only solution is stabilization. If you're on shore the best option is a spotting scope. Find them in the bin and ID them in the scope.

Have to agree with Pileatus. For non-stabilized hand held optics, the EL 10x50 SV is very special, giving a wonderful, easy, neutral and relaxed 345ft FOV (I measured to 350ft)!

Ted

I tested 10X50 and 12X50 SV's side-by-side in the field on several occassions. There is nothing you'll see in the 12X50 that you won't see in the 10X50 AND the 10X50 is easier to use. There's a serious drop in information when you hit 12X and the only solution is stabilization.

I respectfully disagree. I have access to the Swarovski 12x50 SV and 10x50 SV, and although both provide wonderfully bright and sharp views, I find that the increased image size the 12 provides is a distinct advantage in the field. Anyone who has ever practiced target shooting can learn to hold a 12x binocular steady; it does take practice, but with a superb instrument like the Swaro 12 or the Leica 12 the reward is well worth the effort, in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back