• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best current 7x42 roof option? (1 Viewer)

The good news, those are all really excellent binoculars! I could really have only one of any of those and be content.

Ranking:
1. Zeiss FL- not too heavy, AK prisms, class leading FOV, smooth focus, excellent armoring.
2. Retrovid 7X35- It's the one I use the most. Small, light, handy ergonomics, excellent optics, smooth focus.
3a. Swarovski SLC- Built like a tank. One of Swarovskis best. As competitive now as new.
3b. UVHD+- one of the last truly great 7X42s. Does everything well. Small for a 7X42 and not too heavy.
4a. Meopta B.1- really a very nice binocular. A little on the heavy size and slightly less FOV that you'd never notice.
4b. EDG- Another excellent binocular. Warranty PERHAPS only shortcoming.

It it were me....I'd hang around and wait for a nice second hand example of any of these. These are all THAT good and that close in performance. If you find an SLC be sure it is green has the green fabric bag.

fullsizeoutput_1382.jpeg

DSC_0128_1.jpg

Last edited:
Lots more good advice coming in!

Because of the colour and slightly messy FOV edges of the FL I think I will cross that off the list despite many here liking it a lot for its brightness and other good qualities.

Leica and Nikon both have their fans for different reasons. EDG gets called dull or dark quite a lot - not what you want in the UK most of the time! Also concerns about warranty and servicing, but it's much cheaper and I suspect it also has less CA than the Leica and probably a nicer focuser too.

I have never looked through the Meostar 7x but I have seen others and my 12x50 is one and I like it a lot. There are some apparently for sale/in stock all over the web in European shops, but when you send an email they say "sorry can't supply". Then please update your website....

I read a comment on here once, forgot who wrote it unfortunately.
"Don't buy a bino because of the warranty. But because you like the view."
Let's face it - nobody has a crystal ball and knows if any of the companies even exist 10 or 20 years from now to honor the 30 year warranty you theoretically have.

Having an FL 7x42, I can confirm they are great! Weakest point is maybe being less "saturated" or with less "sparkle" than some, but sooo bright (even noticeably in direct comparison to e.g.an FL8x32 in broad daylight when the exit pupil is not key), sharp, free of CA, not heavy for a 42mm, wide FOV... (though not sharp over the wholeFOV, and with a bit of a weird 'ring' at the outer limit of the view). It is my low-light and woods binocular.
But I have never had the chance to compare it to the other 7x42's.
I'm curious about SLC Neu (from around 2004-2006 period). I know it is heavier, but heard that many good things about the build quality and sharp view. I'm wondering how it compares to the FL regarding brightness, saturation, 'pop' (or sparkle or whatever subjective(?) measure)... I guess that I shouldn't expect the brightness or sparkle of a recent Habicht...

Having an FL 7x42, I can confirm they are great! Weakest point is maybe being less "saturated" or with less "sparkle" than some, but sooo bright (even noticeably in direct comparison to e.g.an FL8x32 in broad daylight when the exit pupil is not key), sharp, free of CA, not heavy for a 42mm, wide FOV... (though not sharp over the wholeFOV, and with a bit of a weird 'ring' at the outer limit of the view). It is my low-light and woods binocular.
But I have never had the chance to compare it to the other 7x42's.
I'm curious about SLC Neu (from around 2004-2006 period). I know it is heavier, but heard that many good things about the build quality and sharp view. I'm wondering how it compares to the FL regarding brightness, saturation, 'pop' (or sparkle or whatever subjective(?) measure)... I guess that I shouldn't expect the brightness or sparkle of a recent Habicht...

I have had the 7x42 neu. And have tried FL 7x42 though not compared these side by side.
But according to my experience and what I read, the Swaro has a warmer image. I think the Zeiss may be a bit sharper in center, but the Swaro was known to have the largest sweet spot of 7x42 models, and very free from distorsion. It's a very nice bino but as you mention heavy, I think it's the heaviest of all 7x42s.

Last edited:
When I spent time at the Leica store last year, it was the 7x42 HD+ that immediately climbed to the #1 spot on my list of binoculars I wanted to get. It's an absolutely great binocular and I'd have a hard time imagining anyone being disappointed with them.

Could I ask those here who have both the Leica UVHD and Nikon EDG in 7x to do a small experiment for me? Set the eye cups so that you can just see the FOV edge stop and then roam all around the FOV, right to the edge if possible, and confirm that you can do this without blackouts? Thank you. I'm also interested in results from other 7x's, but those two seem like the most likely ones for me to consider.

By the way, I just got a reply from Nikon UK (a week later) about the status of the EDG after voicing my concern about whether they are current models and warranty/servicing issues. This is the response I got (via the vendor):

They've advised that the EDG range is in fact discontinued but they have a handful of products left in stock.

They've advised that there is no issue with warranty repairs for the EDG models and encourage owners to view the warranty section of their website here -

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000044866&configured=1&lang=en_GB

By the way, I just got a reply from Nikon UK (a week later) about the status of the EDG after voicing my concern about whether they are current models and warranty/servicing issues. This is the response I got (via the vendor):
Hi,

this is valuable information!

The discussion about the EDG sometimes got a bit confusing, with some statements suggesting that Nikon would continue to build the 42 models.
In fact, I always had a bit of doubt about it because there are practically no new EDGs available to buy here in Germany, and there were also repeated cases where spare parts were no longer available for certain models.

Basically, you should perhaps keep in mind that if you plan to use binoculars beyond the warranty period, you are more likely to choose a model where spare parts are still available in the long term.

The EDG is really a nice glass, but Nikon's model care always left a lot of questions unanswered, IMO I would prefer the Leica from this point of view.

Andreas

I'm going to presume you don't have a Meopta Meostar.
On balance, having owned both Leica and Meopta..... I would probably go for Leica.....
But it's definately not a 'hands down' decision.
Those Meoptas are superb, the equal, or very near to, optically, and built like the proverbial tank.
A superb optical instrument.
+1

Must admit that I have been more than impressed with my recently aquired Meopta. It was a leap of faith to buy one unseen but the posts and reviews on here, and elswhere, convinced me to get one. I am so glad I did

Like you say, built like the proverbial but truly superb.

+1

Must admit that I have been more than impressed with my recently aquired Meopta. It was a leap of faith to buy one unseen but the posts and reviews on here, and elswhere, convinced me to get one. I am so glad I did

Like you say, built like the proverbial but truly superb.

I'm liking mine a lot too. Something about the balance of optical properties and integrity of design and build is very persuasive.

I seem to remember a used Meostar 7x42 coming up for sale here recently. I wonder how often that happens. My attempts to find NOS have so far failed.

Roger Vine really liked the 7x50 too.

I seem to remember a used Meostar 7x42 coming up for sale here recently. I wonder how often that happens. My attempts to find NOS have so far failed.

Roger Vine really liked the 7x50 too.
I can tell you that in the last three years I have seen three on ebay and one pop up on Rokslide (twice, I bought it the second time) and the one sold here on birdforum. So not very often.

I posted want to buy adds on multiple forums and only had one person on Rokslide reach out to me wanting a Swarovski SLC price.

There is a 2018 7x50 available on ebay at the moment. Might be a great option.

I can tell you that in the last three years I have seen three on ebay and one pop up on Rokslide (twice, I bought it the second time) and the one sold here on birdforum. So not very often.

I posted want to buy adds on multiple forums and only had one person on Rokslide reach out to me wanting a Swarovski SLC price.

There is a 2018 7x50 available on ebay at the moment. Might be a great option.

Thanks. I'll have a look.

How about trying a Meostar 8X42 in B1, B1.1, or a B1 plus. They truly are an excellent glass, unless you are looking to add a 7X42 to the Noctivid.

How about trying a Meostar 8X42 in B1, B1.1, or a B1 plus. They truly are an excellent glass, unless you are looking to add a 7X42 to the Noctivid.

Well, actually I am thinking that 7x would give wider FOV and better DOF than an 8x, but also equally important would be my ability to roam around the FOV without getting blackouts at the edges. A larger exit pupil should provide this, all else being equal. In terms of all other aspects of image quality and handling I'm very happy with the NV and I wonder if the Meostar could actually be a step down in some areas?

The 7x42, 8x42, and 10x42 EDG are still in production in Japan and featured in Nikon's current product lineup in Japan. The 32mm EDG have been discontinued for a while are limited to any still in retail channels. In fact, the 7x42 EDG went out of stock this summer at Japanese vendors like Kyoie Osaka and the Nikon Japan store, then a new batch was produced and stocked again.

I can't speak to Europe, but Nikon USA stopped selling the EDG 15+ years ago and tells everyone they're no longer made and that the Monarch HG series replaced them. I bought my 7x42 EDG from Kyoie in 2022 knowing that I would have to send them to Nikon Japan if they ever need warranty service. Or I could pay someone in the USA to service them.

Consider that I could buy a 7x42 EDG brand new and a second pair of 7x42 EDG brand new from Kyoie, in case the first pair ever breaks, and that would cost the same as ordering one new pair of 7x42 UVHD here in the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back