• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Deceased ???, Skagit Flats, WA (1 Viewer)

Sasquatch Fingers

International Man of Leisure
I found some dead birds, possibly poached, and I wanted to have better information to provide the officials. I imagine the species in question will influence whether they dispatch a unit to investigate. The bird(s) in question were dumped in a drainage ditch adjacent to some hunting and some restricted areas in Western Washington State, USA.

The first is the wide shot that may likely be too wide to make anything from. I only thought to take a single shot of one of them, assuming they were all the same, but unknown. There's a beer bottle and some apples in there for scale, but each bird was maybe the size of a small hawk or large-ish falcon. Perhaps I was fixated on raptors because we had met a hunter earlier that day that said some of the hunters get pissy about the raptors because they might steal a slain bird before the hunter has a chance to retrieve it.

Attachments

• bfdeceasedwide.jpg
    bfdeceasedwide.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 106
  • bfdeceasedsolo.jpg
    bfdeceasedsolo.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 112
That's unfortunate. It's even in season. Guess some jerk wasn't happy with his specimen and threw it in the water so he could keep hunting for a "better one" and ignore the legal limit.

If what I'm seeing there are the wings/backs of at least two other birds, I would assume not, but maybe. Can't rule it out.

Last edited:
I think I see four corpses. I recognize the pheasant at lower left, but have no clue about the others other than they're mostly dark and they're of similar size to the pheasant. The odds of all four drowning together, or dying of exhaustion and dropping into the ditch together, are beyond minuscule.

Reasonable guess is that a hunter changed his mind about bringing these home. Given the other trash in the ditch, I'm guessing this is a roadside ditch, so these were dumped just prior to getting into the truck, or possibly after beginning the drive home. Strange behavior, unless I resort to less-reasonable guesses: a truckful of illegal catch, a roadblock farther up the road, and this guy getting a warning via cell phone.

I think I see four corpses. . .. Strange behavior, unless I resort to less-reasonable guesses: a truckful of illegal catch, a roadblock farther up the road, and this guy getting a warning via cell phone.

Works for me! By far the most esthetically satisfying of the 2 scenarios. . ..
;)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back