• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cuba (1 Viewer)

terry jz

on my way to cuba in may for a 2 week holiday in varadero, and would love to see a bee hummingbird. Any information you could give to help would be great.
am i going at the right time, where do i need to go, and if anybody knows of a guide who can help me to see one i would greatful.
this is a trip with my wife who is wheelchair bound so even though she will not be hunting around cuba with me, my time birdwatching will be limited once again thanks in advance for any info given

I don't have any records with me but I remember there are a few local guides who are readily available-and you'll probably need them for this bird. Do some varied key word searches and you should find a contact #

Terry, 3 of us did the CubaDirect bird tour last April ,which is an organised tour with driver and bird guides. For the bee hummingbird ,we saw it well at Guanhacabibes reserve,which is right at the western end of the island.Our guide was stationed at the reserve centre ,so you could probably make contact there (can't remember his name !)
The other place for bee hummingbird was Zapata area on the south coast. We didn't bother there as we'd already seen it and were after other stuff. I'd try googling cuban bird guides and see who could put a trip together for you.

Terry

You will have to travel for Bee Hummingbird! However Varadero is ok-ish bird wise. I went 7 years ago and did ok birding on a family holiday. Have a look at Varadero, Reserva Ecologica Chapelin which is near the middle of the penninsular near the Dolphinarium and Varadero, Reserva Ecological Varahicacos which is near the point of the penninsular. The latter is a mangrove swamp so there is a good chance you will get bitten to death here but it is good for Cuban Vireo. The undeveloped area between the Turquesa hotel and the dolphinarium was very good for waders, passerines and Antillian Nighthawk. There is also a lagoon to the south of the golfcourse which is worth a look.

Amy

I went to Cuba last April and saw the male and female bee hummingbird in the Zapata National Park in the Bermejas section of the park. That seems alot closer to Varadero then Guanahacabibes is.

Hi Terry,
I done a birding trip in Cuba some time ago, my report is
http://www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/cuba/cuba4/Cuba-march-05.htm

I used a guide called 'Chino' his email address (at that time) was/is
Orestes Garcia Martinez (El Chino) Email: [email protected]

he is a fantastic guide, and we seen Bee Hummer a few times with him and lots of other endemic's and great birds too.

At the time getting hold of him was hard and he had very limited email access, maybe it improved.....?

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back