• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with a DSLR (1 Viewer)

Neil

On my recent trip to Florida I had the chance to borrow a friends Swarovski/Pentax combo to test out it's digiscoping power. The camera was the older model K10. I was impressed with the functionality of the K10 and it's intuitive button layout so it only took a few minutes to get the hang of it.
I was using the Swarovski TLS eyepiece adapter to replace the scope eyepiece and camera lens. One of the days I was using it the light was low and it was drizzly . The other day it was windy. A good test.
The K10 had only a little noise at iso 800 and an acceptable amount at iso 1600.
This combo gave the equivalent of 1200 mm magnification which is the same as I normally digiscope with the Nikon 8400.
I needed a more robust tripod for this test . I have a support system under development which should be available next week to test with the D3.
I was happy with some of the results despite my poor manual focussing skills.
Neil.

Attachments

• rw blackbird.male.pentax K10.iso400 IMGP9100.jpg
    rw blackbird.male.pentax K10.iso400 IMGP9100.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 445
  • bt grackle.male.pentax K10.iso400 IMGP9152.jpg
    bt grackle.male.pentax K10.iso400 IMGP9152.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 404
Here one's taken at iso 100. Neil.

Attachments

• northern cardinal.male.pentaxK10.iso100.adj IMGP9288.jpg
    northern cardinal.male.pentaxK10.iso100.adj IMGP9288.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 439
I needed a more robust tripod for this test . I have a support system under development which should be available next week to test with the D3.
I was happy with some of the results despite my poor manual focussing skills.
Neil.

neil, would you be using the FSA-L1 adapter by nikon with your D3 ?

More with the Pentax K10

I'm still plowing through the photos from my Florida trip. Here are a couple of images taken in bright light at longer distance (about 25 metres ). Neil

Pentax K10 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Swarvoski TLS800 adapter

Attachments

• least bittern.male.breed.email IMGP9783.jpg
    least bittern.male.breed.email IMGP9783.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 329
  • rw blackbird.male.email IMGP9757.jpg
    rw blackbird.male.email IMGP9757.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 413
  • anhinga.email IMGP9773.jpg
    anhinga.email IMGP9773.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
I'm still plowing through the photos from my Florida trip. Here are a couple of images taken in bright light at longer distance (about 25 metres ). Neil

Pentax K10 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Swarvoski TLS800 adapter

A little purple fringing there around the red-winged blackbird, but they are all so sharp! But then again, you're using top equipment combo.

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back