• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My brand new Zeiss 8x32T*FLs rattle! (1 Viewer)

aburdy

Hi All,

Following the help and advice gleaned from a great many of you on the threads here on Birdforum, I have just bought myself a brand new pair of the Zeiss Victory 8x32 T FLs. Very nice optics indeed!

However, in the little over the week I've had them I have noticed when I lightly shake the bino it rattles within / around the focussing mechanism. Also, there is movable plastic cover to the rear of the focussing mechanism, adjacent to the underside of the hinge arrangement, that rotates ever so slightly from side to side. Is this normal for these particular binoculars? I would guess it forms some form of 'floating' mechanism but it just feels out of place on a £1k bino...I have read in some of the threads about rattles emanating from some swarovski bins but nothing from Zeiss.

Otherwise I'm chuffed to bits with the optics and can't quite believe the fit, feel and optical quality of the glass. Would appear to have gotten a good deal from LCE on the Strand too as I only paid £999 for them...

Welcome to the Birdforum.
I am also thinking there should be no rattling with the FL, as they are a high quality
optic. Also the other issue with something else that is loose is not good.
I would take them back to the seller and show them the issues. Then see if you
can exchange them for a new pair.
Enjoy your new binoculars.

There is no problem. There is a plastic dust baffle at the front of the focus wheel that moves slightly to the touch. If you give the bins a good shake I guess you might hear a bit of movement.

I would agree this piece has no place on these otherwise very fine optics, as it feels like a ten cent bit of plastic.

There is no problem. There is a plastic dust baffle at the front of the focus wheel that moves slightly to the touch. If you give the bins a good shake I guess you might hear a bit of movement.

I would agree this piece has no place on these otherwise very fine optics, as it feels like a ten cent bit of plastic.

I'll second that: nothing to worry about, totally external, slightly cheesy.

Oddly, some top-tier bins really have internal rattles, including Leica and Swaro. Someone hereabouts (Garymh??) described it as "focusing elements," which I found remarkable. Doesn't seem to matter though, whatever it is.

Mark

Third it, it is a cover to keep dirt out of the hinge mechanism, and has to be loose for the IPD adjust to work, so is likely to rattle a bit if shaken.

It has been cynically referred on this forum to as the FL's "sand trap". That is true sort of. It's there to keep stuff out. But if stuff gets past it somehow, it keeps it in.
Ron

Hi All,

Following the help and advice gleaned from a great many of you on the threads here on Birdforum, I have just bought myself a brand new pair of the Zeiss Victory 8x32 T FLs. Very nice optics indeed!

However, in the little over the week I've had them I have noticed when I lightly shake the bino it rattles within / around the focussing mechanism. Also, there is movable plastic cover to the rear of the focussing mechanism, adjacent to the underside of the hinge arrangement, that rotates ever so slightly from side to side. Is this normal for these particular binoculars? I would guess it forms some form of 'floating' mechanism but it just feels out of place on a £1k bino...I have read in some of the threads about rattles emanating from some swarovski bins but nothing from Zeiss.

Otherwise I'm chuffed to bits with the optics and can't quite believe the fit, feel and optical quality of the glass. Would appear to have gotten a good deal from LCE on the Strand too as I only paid £999 for them...

They are my favorites and I have had alot of binoculars. The only one optically a LITTLE better is the SV and for me it is too heavy and big and to some the rolling ball and slightly different optics are not their cup of tea.
The Zeiss 8x32 FL's are the only binoculars I have.

Dear All,

Many thanks for your feedback. You may be interested to know that I dropped an email to Zeiss late last night too, setting out my concerns that I shared with you guys at the start of this thread. Give them their dues they came back first thing this morning - very impressed so far with the customer service, thank you Zeiss - and suggested that a slight rattle and a moveable "sand trap" (not their words but thank you ronh) was perfectly normal. However, they went on to say that if I still wasn't happy they will gladly have one of their engineers ring me.

I'm going to take up this offer as this rattle is way too loud for my liking and may even pop into the dealer I bought it from and compare it with another similar bino. I know it may sound a tad precious but £1k ($1500) is a lot of cash and I want them perfect.

I will let you know how I get on. Thanks once again for all your help and can I ask - now that I have a truly decent pair of optics, albeit with a rattle, is wrong to already to be thinking about what I should be buying next..!

I got a demo pair from Cameraland this year-no rattle

edj
Same here been using them as the first choice bin for maybe 4 years and they are rock solid and don't make a sound. If something fell off the inside of your focusing mechanism or is inside the barrels where it can scratch lens coatings either way you should send that sucker in now while it's still a small problem.

is wrong to already to be thinking about what I should be buying next..!

Not really I didn't stop until I had an A grade 8x32,10x42,12x45,15x50 and a mini 8x20. ( although I want an 8x25) Plus a few lesser bins I bought along the way. Lesser bins are always a mistake for an optics junkie. You'll just wind up buying the exoensive one some day anyhow so might as well just wait until you can.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back