• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Farne Islands Lens Choice (1 Viewer)

Mike's absolutely correct that there will be plenty of opportunities for close-ups well composed and well exposed when you land. But I would not forsake the opportunities of shots from the boat. The seals, of course, but also shots of cliffs covered in birds and if you're lucky birds in flight from sea level - especially good if you get birds taking off within range (http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/254276/ppuser/6605). Just remember to take plenty of memory cards and spare batteries.

Bill

A few thumbnails from Monday.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1721.jpg
    IMG_1721.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 51
Re the question of photography from the boat, if conditions allow, DO keep a camera available. Last time we went, the sea was pretty calm, and the skipper made deliberate efforts to intercept some of the flying birds. Of particular note was a flock of 6/7 Gannets which actually flew towards and over the boat at extreme close range. The stunning views of flying Gannets at that close proximity will stay with me for ever.

I DIDN'T have a camera ready...but how I wish I had :-C

Attachments

• DSC09373a.jpg
    DSC09373a.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 53
I will take it all on board sorry for the pun, Will take a black bin bag with me and have the 400mm ready for action.

ive just got back from a trip today to inner farne and can 100% recomend it to anyone who hasnt been before it was my first time and was mind blowing how close and how many birds there are !. the inner farne trip also takes you round the other islands first though you dont land which was a bonus, as for photographs i used my pocket camera on the boat for cliff pixtures as i wouldnt be to miffed if it fell in the sea of got soaked. i taken my dslr and the only lens i have a 17 - 70 macro lens which was great for shags and razorbills on nests. the only time id say i needed a longer lens was for the puffins.

a massive thanks to people who answered my questions in this thread previously it was a great help and we had a great trip. i cant wait to go again !

DS

Folks,

Thanks for all the replies.

We have just come back from an all day trip last week to both islands and as everyone says it was fantastic.

As for lens choice - as expected couldn't get the 100-400 off my daughter Bridie who got some superb shots (as she always does), the 300 f4 & 1.4TC held it's own but the flexibility of the zoom I think won the day.

Terns are savage, but saw seals, gannet flyby, and all the usual suspects on and around the island.

We enjoyed it so much are thinking of a return trip towards the end of June.

Bridie has posted a few images in the gallery, as I can't seem to thumbnail them in the post?.

Thanks again

Rob & Bridie

Just got back from the Farnes to-night, just magic, magic, magic, Puffins Galore and the Shags were amazing with them green eyes Arctic terns
Sandwich terns and all the usual ones, photo's on my gallery soon took over 600 shots if you are thinking of going don't miss it, go now.

My first visit to the Farnes on Friday 12th June, full day trip - 2 Islands, thanks for the tips etc I've picked up from this thread regarding possible kit to take, espec, the one regarding the wearing of a hat to prevent the terns drilling a hole in my head, without the hat I think blood would have been drawn :-O.

I decided on the following:

Cannon 400mm prime, 70 to 40mm, 70 to 200mm F4 I.S, 1.4 converter and my little pocket Fuji 100fd which I always carry.
On the first Island I mainly used the 400 prime which is Ideal for flight shots, but soon found out that a lot of the birds were to close, so opted for the 70 to 200 with converter for most of the other shots with the exception of a few wide angle pics.
The 70 - 200 was a god send which gave good flexability for close focusing and the zoom for composing the shot and also good enough with the converter for flight shots.
I would say that, had I owned the canon 100-400, it would have been the lens to take.
All in All a heluvaday and would advise anyone to give it a try.

A handfull of pic from the day.

Attachments

• _MG_6811.jpg
    _MG_6811.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_6906.jpg
    _MG_6906.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_6948.jpg
    _MG_6948.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_7464.jpg
    _MG_7464.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF1921.jpg
    DSCF1921.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 45
Full Day trip £25 with Billy Shiel + £6 landing fee each island if not in National Trust,
I was lucky met a guy who had life time membership got him and me in free on both islands.
I would agree if you had only one lens to take it would 100-400mm. Don't forget the
Eider in the Harbour, also the night before if you are B&B have a stroll around by the
golf course you have right of way to walk over the edge to the beach beyond thats
were i got the Ringed Plover beautiful bird. Also book the trip in advance you don't have to pay,
the boat i was on was full to the brim, have a good time i will be back next year.

The main Problem is there is so many birds so close you are a bit dumb founded, the advise
I would give is be methodical, plan what you are going to take and make sure you
have them wow shots, before going onto the next birds, as they are not going to fly away.

Last edited:
Full Day trip £25 with Billy Shiel + £6 landing fee each island if not in National Trust,
I was lucky met a guy who had life time membership got him and me in free on both islands.
I would agree if you had only one lens to take it would 100-400mm. Don't forget the
Eider in the Harbour, also the night before if you are B&B have a stroll around by the
golf course you have right of way to walk over the edge to the beach beyond thats
were i got the Ringed Plover beautiful bird. Also book the trip in advance you don't have to pay,
the boat i was on was full to the brim, have a good time i will be back next year.

The main Problem is there is so many birds so close you are a bit dumb founded, the advise
I would give is be methodical, plan what you are going to take and make sure you
have them wow shots, before going onto the next birds, as they are not going to fly away.

Regarding the Eider.
We went onto the beach beside the slipway in the harbour and the Eider came running towards us, as if we were going to feed them, just like mallards. Also the Eider have chicks with them, definately worth a look :t:.
Totaly agree with Terry regarding, trying to plan the photo's methodical, as the first instinct is to start shooting at anything and everything, which usually means that you could end up with the adrenal rush no keepers sindrome.
As Terry say's, the birds are not going to fly away, if they do, they'll be back shortly with potential food for the young.

Last edited:
Cost me £25 last month with Billy Shields, having booked by phone the day before. I got the info by Googling his website. There are several other outfits offering full or half day outings.

We did the £25 Billy Sheils all day birdwatching trip last Saturday. It was the 2nd time we had done it, and were well pleased.

Re lens choice, I took a 170-500 zoom, which was adequate for just about everything. In an ideal world though, particularly with flying bids coming so close, maybe I'll arrange for a 50-500 Bigma for next year.

Terns gave us the usual battering, and stout headgear is essential; however, some people do seem to take this to extremes, as you can see in pic 1.

All in all though, a great day out, and one I think we will be making an annual trip :t:

Attachments

• DSC_6763a.jpg
    DSC_6763a.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_6785a.jpg
    DSC_6785a.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0294a.jpg
    IMG_0294a.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_6640a.jpg
    DSC_6640a.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_6996a.jpg
    DSC_6996a.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Do the Terns slow down a bit with attacking once they have chicks, they would be out trying to get food for them?

No, as far as I am aware, they continue to attack whether they have eggs or chicks.

A common sense approach to them will help though, eg:

Do keep a sensible hat on - some people simply held sticks or umbrellas up, which the birds attacked instead of them.

Don't look up as the Terns attack

Don't (as some silly arse did on Saturday) hold your 2 year old child up in the air, or give kids piggy-backs etc

If you want to take pix on the Farnes without ducking and weaving, sitting underneath your tripod works perfectly and gets you those low angle shots of birds instead of looking straight down on them.

John

Given that terns have been injured in the past, possibly fatally, by people wearing hard hats I'm surprised that NT don't prohibit the practice.

If people can't take the inevitable consequences of walking through an Arctic Tern breeding colony then they should probably do something less exacting.

martin

Terns gave us the usual battering, and stout headgear is essential; however, some people do seem to take this to extremes, as you can see in pic 1.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back