• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars and young children (1 Viewer)

I don't know the answer to your question but my two-year old daughter loves looking at birds through binoculars, although I'm never entirely sure that she is really seeing anything! She doesn't use them all that often, so I doubt if it does her eyesight any harm.

How young can children learn to use binoculars?
Two years sounds about right, but their motivation is usually low. I've had more luck with little kids (2-3 yrs old) and spotting scopes, which they readily learn to see through and focus.

Is early binocular use likely to hurt their vision? Thanks.
I can't imagine how it could. It was by observing how my son's notion of best focus consistently differed from mine when focusing my spotting scope that I first learned he was near sighted. A subsequent trip to the optometrist and fitting with glasses brought him better vision than he would have enjoyed at that age in a family that did not use optics.

--AP

The RSPB do a kids' binocular called the "Wildlife Explorer". It's very light, a reverse-porro compact, 6x magnification (so the kids get a big user-friendly field of view, to save them searching for the target). It has a side hand-strap rather than a neck-cord...Capercaillie has mentioned the danger of the latter. I'm sure similar kids' binoculars are made by US manufacturers. That said, my 9-year old daughter prefers my Swaro EL 8x32 (she would, wouldn't she!;)). I don't think binos do kids any harm, let's face it they only look through them for very short periods anyway. I've also found over the years that my kids don't cope well with prolonged birding outings, it's better if I mix the activity with something for them, as they can't concentrate on birds for very long. Best of Luck!

It probably depends a lot on the individual child as to when they have suffucuent interst in looking through binoculars. If their parents use them then they will probably want emulate mom and/or dad. I agree with Alexis in that I can't imagine that any harm would come to their sight, but a simple call to an optometrist would likely answer that one. Kevin's comment should be taken to heart because kids curiosity can get them into trouble. Proper supervision is th only thing I'd require with a kid and binoculars. And proper kid's binoculars.

Keep in mind that the Leupold Yosemite was designed for kids. As a bonus they also make great adult binoculars, and they don't cost very much in case junior destroys one.

I can't enforce this enough. Tell them not to look into the sun, as pointed out before. I know a young boy who did, and he got off light with a blind spot in one eye.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back