• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tripod/head question (1 Viewer)

deltahogfan

I will soon be the owner of a Theron Mag82 spotter. I am looking at the Manfrotto 055 tripod with a 128 fluid head. Can anyone give me some more options for a good tripod/head combo? At same price or less? Thanks in advance.

I will soon be the owner of a Theron Mag82 spotter. I am looking at the Manfrotto 055 tripod with a 128 fluid head. Can anyone give me some more options for a good tripod/head combo? At same price or less? Thanks in advance.

Not familiar with the scope you are buying but I am familiar with the tripod + head. I picked up a 128 RC2 for a friend of mine for £20 (used - I thought it was new1) and it is a pretty nice head. When I bought my own scope I preferred the Manfrotto 701 hdv due to being able to balance the scope better, but they are both good.
I used to own a Manfrotto 55 XB Pro and it's a fine tripod, though rater heavy and you need the center column to get decent height. I have since discovered Gitzo and would VERY highly recommend the GT2531 or GT2541 - however they are silly money! There is an alternative! I have a lightweight (sub 1 kilo) Triopo tripod and am very impressed with it's design and quality (for the price), though it's a bit small for a decent scope. Have a look at this one on E Bay - item 180665506909. It's carbon, will have better vibration damping and it's about a kilo lighter than the 55. Well worth a look!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back