• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

storage/ backup of files (1 Viewer)

Jhanlon

I guess this is a general IT/ PC issue but hopefully someone can help. Until now I've backed up all my photos to CD but now my CD Rom drive is buggered I think it's time to use alternative storage. I've heard pen drives/ memory sticks are unreliable. Does anyone think otherwise? I'm thinking of a compact external hard drive but they seem very pricey (starting at around £45?). Can anyone suggest a cheap storage device that's reliable? I don't need huge capacity - say 10 GB or so?

thanks
James

Upload your images to reliable web server storage, many are free so it wont cost you a thing.

Buy a dual layer dvd writer, you'll get more on dvds that cdroms, cost c.£20 (Storage 4.7 GB per disk unless you use dual layer disks)

An external hard drive, but as with any disk it's liable to fail so you'd still be better off backing up the disk to make sure your images are safe.

USB Pen Drives, liable to get damaged or lost, larger sizes are expensive for the £60+ 8Gb pen drive, you could buy 100Gb+ external hard drive.

A few choices for you, if nothing else your post will get a bump up the list.

thanks Jeff - that gives me something to chew on... I don't think DVD writer is an option as my D-Drive isn't working so I can't copy to CD or DVD. I'll consider web storage, though I didn't think you could get much for free - thought it was MBs' worth rather than GBs - but I have never tried it that way so am probably wrong.

I'm sure everyone on this forum needs to store/ backup their files somehow - I'm interested which of these methods are being used and what the pros/cons are. Pls post all your thoughts - I'd be v grateful to hear from as many people as poss.

thanks again
James

we have two120gb external hard drives + every few months i end up burning dvd's to back everything up. couldn't imagine trying to get it all onto cd's, i'd be burning forever LOL

thanks Jeff - that gives me something to chew on... I don't think DVD writer is an option as my D-Drive isn't working so I can't copy to CD or DVD. I'll consider web storage, though I didn't think you could get much for free - thought it was MBs' worth rather than GBs - but I have never tried it that way so am probably wrong.

I'm sure everyone on this forum needs to store/ backup their files somehow - I'm interested which of these methods are being used and what the pros/cons are. Pls post all your thoughts - I'd be v grateful to hear from as many people as poss.

thanks again
James

Your D: drive isn't working? Is this the CD Drive? If so just replace the drive with a new dual layer DVD writer and your away, i'm assuming the drive is broken?

If it's just the letter D then change it to be your E: drive ;)

If your not too sure what your doing, just take it into your local pc shop, it'll take less than 5 minutes to replace.

nearly 3Gb of space on google email, i'm assuming the little tweak still works to upload files. I've seen webspace upto 10Gb, not too sure what they're like though.

if ya don't want to mess with the internal look at all the externals available,, CD to DVD,, some are really low cost today compared to a few years past,, I doubt if you will find anything in the low area of 10gig now days ,, seems everything I see in the weekend paper adds are in the 120 and up which are still very reasonable,,

If your not too sure what your doing, just take it into your local pc shop, it'll take less than 5 minutes to replace.

got it in one! I don't know my D drive from my E drive from my 4 wheel drive (hang on, that's cars innit?).:h?: Unfortunately I'm permanently playing catchup with the state of modern technology but these replies have definitely given me some ideas. The idea of getting my D drive replaced with a (functional) DVD writer at a local PC shop does sound good. Hope it really is as easy as u say! Then again, I didn't realise you could get that much space on the web which sounds like a great (free) alternative - I've never used it as a storage medium. I guess you could lose it all if the host site went bust?!

thanks again to everyone who's replied so far
J

would have to agree with ya if you don't know your over drive from your under drive ( LOL ) that a computer shop would be your best bet,, while it is in the shop why not have them show you an external hard drive that you could also use for backing up,,

didn't think storage amount would be much of an issue...BUT... yesterday I took my first video footage of a bird. Went to see the much publicised eagle owls in Lancs. They were pretty awesome to see yet not doing very much so when one of the chicks started doing its curious comical 'neck extensions' it was a great opportunity to shoot some footage. Quite pleased with the results though shocked by the file size!

I just ordered a portable 120 GB backup drive with rechargable battery and 7-type memory card reader built in. It's the Wolverine #7120 Flash Pac.. from Costco, USA for $180. This price is just a little more than two of my 2 GB Memory Stick Pro Duo cards by Sandisk, Extreme III for my Sony DSC-200 12 MP camera (for digiscoping). The Wolverine will read these cards AND my xD cards from my other Olympus and Fuji cameras, and go with me anywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back