• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binoculars do you use? (1 Viewer)

I know where you're coming from, but these days 8.0-8.5 is 'wide'.
The edge-sharp demand is very strong. Hey, at least they're doing premium 8.x now.
I like it for all-around. The extra sharpness seems to 'fill up' the space.
There are Porros that are wide. Don't let lower price keep you from going to a shop
and taking a look. Some are pretty awesome.

We got rid of everything except our Kowa Genesis 8.5x44 and a pretty old pair of Sears 7x50 porro's. Currently thinking of adding a Leupold or Nikon 12x50 for when we are at the lake.

Zeiss 10 x 42....I have always preferred 10's....For me they are easy to hold and while some people (especially newbies) get lost trying to find a bird using the 10x, I prefer it....

We have a pair of Nikon Action 7x35 and a pair of Vanguard 8x36 Spirt. I bought the Vanguards because of their size and I had no idea what I was doing. Looking back I should have picked up a updated Nikon Action EX in 7x35. The newer Nikons have better eye cups, are water/fog proof and the diopter is lockable. All the things I wanted to improve on my older 7x35.

For general use Zeiss Victory HT 10x42,for in the car and in the woods Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32.When in the open country with views in excess of 5 km I find the 10x42 invaluable as oppposed to the 8x32.When I have only the 8x32 I feel that,although they are very good,there is just something lacking in reach.....Eddy

Canon 10x42ISL for birding; Zeiss 8x30BGA Classic for backup;
Leica 8x20BCA Trinovid for travel;
Leica 8x20 Monovid for pocket carriage.

For scoping, a Nikon ED50/DS27 combo with a NatGeo monopod/finnstick.

I'd greatly prefer a portable IS scope and would pay up for such an option, but none are available. Somehow, even though almost every long camera lens now sold integrates IS into the design, scope makers resolutely ignore that clear message of the market. Perhaps the Chinese will be more pragmatic...

Canon 10x42 IS L for all birding, all sailing and much of travel.
Leica 8x20 Ultravid for traveling light & running & biking.

No longer in use but not sold:
Nikon 10x42 SE
Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 10x50
Nikon 7x20 Travelite

For most birding also a scope: Swarovski ATX 30-72x95 on a Velbon 830 & Sirui VH-10 & Cley Spy harness.

Kimmo

My primary binoculars for the last few years have been:
  • Swaro 8x42 SLC-HD for birding.
  • Swift 8.5x44 HHS roof for light carry.
  • Leica 8x20 Ultravid for travel.

Occasionally, a few others as the mood strikes:
  • Zeiss 7x42 B/GAT*P
  • Swift Audubon 804ED
  • Swaro 8x30 SLC Mk. III

Ed

I have a number of bins, but the ones that see the most use are as follows:

Leica 8x20 Ultravid -- for ultralight travel or any time I don't expect to be birding/butterflying but could end up seeing some good ones (e.g. while primarily doing photography, or while walking to work during migration).

Browning 8x32 -- for birding+butterflying on bicycle rides, carried bandolier style on a long strap or in a trunk bag.

Zeiss 8x32 FL -- for most butterflying+birding, and for most travel

Swarovski 8x32 EL, 8.5x42 EL, or Leica 8x42 Ultravid -- for birding outside the butterfly season. I like the optical quality of the big EL best but it is nonSV original slow focus version so it is only suitable for mid and distant birds such as while cruising roads in wildlife refuges. The little EL (nonSV, nice focus ratio, hydrophobic lens coating) is best for close to mid distance fast-paced birding in brushy grassland or woods in late fall and early spring and for birding in rain. The Ultravid is best for mid-winter birding since the focus is unaffected by very low temps (it is regularly below zero F where I live in MN, and I've used this Leica down to -40 degrees F).

If a full-sized alpha 8 or 8.5x bin had 5 ft close focus, open-hinge design (which I prefer ergonomically), wide FOV, flat + astigmatism free field, low rolling ball, hydrophobic coating, and fast but precise focus (even in the extreme cold), I would be tempted enough to buy it and it would become my do-all, primary bin. I'd keep the Leica 8x20 and the Zeiss 8x32 for travel, stop using the Zeiss as my usual warm-season bin, and keep the Browning for knockabout uses. All the others would become redundant. I'm still waiting for such a bin. The Swarovski SV EL and Zeiss SF come closest but they aren't perfect (esp. that slow focus ratio!) and so I'm not biting. One of those two could replace some of what I'm using now, but I'm not tempted because I already own this set. But I'd go for the SV or SF if they were revised with a more functional focus ratio.

--AP

Zeiss Terra ED 8X42 for general purpose
Canon 18x50 IS UD for higher magnification

I also have a couple of Bresser 10x50s and an Asahi Pentax Porro 8x30, also a Soviet 8x30 monocular.
I want a Pentax Papilio 6,5x21 for close ups and maybe a couple of good porros (from 10x50 to 25x100) but not necessarily.

Nikon Superior E 7x32

Well, that's what I used for most of the last two decades, but lost them to water damage (though Nikon replaced them for free with a newer pair of roof prisms).

Chris Hill
Conway, SC

I spent most of the last year decicing on what to upgrade to from the Atlas Intrepids I bought when I started birding. I found out two things that were most inportant and thats no CA and sharpness and contrast in the center field. So I have the following

Kowa 10.5 X 44 my main bins
Kowa 8.5 X 44 for warblers and woods and cloudy days
Atlas Intrepids in the car v24,7
Eagal optics Denali 8 X 42 by the kitchen window

The Kowa 10.5's have enough weight and such great balance the are more steady with less shake than most 8's
Steve

Steve, Can you tell if the color abberation is much less in the 8x44 Kowas compared to your Atlas Intrepid EDs 8x42? The Intrepids have a wider view don't they? Just wondering how much different was the chinese ED's versus the Japanese EDs.
Thanks,
Rob.

Rob
I bought those on Eagle optics recommendation and have been very pleased. The only CA I've noticed is D.E.Junco's against fresh snow and power lines on a bright day when the focus isn't perfect. They are a very good pick at $300.00 and I think Eagle has a sale right now. The focus is a little slow about two and a quarter turns but they balance well in the hands. Big field of view about avg. weight for an 8X42 and you need to put them up against the Kowas or one of the other Alphas to notice the small difference in sharpness. Very, Very good binoculars for the money.
Steve

Sorry missed this in several months I haven't been able to produce CA in the Kowas, I haven't had a chance against bright snow yet but power lines, white birds nothing seems to produce it. I do't pay much attention to the very edge of the field but I haven't seen a bit. The only Kowa I've seen any trace of CA in (very little) in my 602 scope and that's not ED glass.
Steve

This is my summer binocular rack :

Viking MD 6.5x32

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42

Byfield Recon 10x42, Nikon Monarch 5 8x56.

I'm really looking forward to trying the Byfield Recon polarised binoculars in the snow later in the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back