• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A good Strap? (1 Viewer)

Briggz

Afternoon folks,

I tried a search but I got SO many hits. Just wondering what was the general opinion for a good strap? I am looking for something comfortable and preferably with a quick release.

Thanks,

Afternoon folks,

I tried a search but I got SO many hits. Just wondering what was the general opinion for a good strap? I am looking for something comfortable and preferably with a quick release.

Thanks,

The Zeiss strap is the best one I have seen. Vero Vellini is pretty good also.

I tried a search but I got SO many hits. Just wondering what was the general opinion for a good strap?

So you want more opinions? There is a fundamental flaw in asking a question like this as there are many variables and people generally reinforce the decision they've made without necessarily knowing or trying what else is out there.

The last two posters like Op/Tech straps. I don't. The hardware is pretty cool but I don't like wide neoprene straps as they are hot and the width doesn't conform well to my neck causing chafing after a time. See, another opinion.

I won't make a recommendation though other than to suggest reading some of the extensive comments already available via a search here on BF.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

all opinions are welcome. For the most part a I do not rely on the first post I see. I have tried to search info on this but like I indicated there were a lot of hit. The term is so general that hours could be spent looking thru post.

I like the Optech straps. I have several, they offer a quick release choice, and how about that they are made in the USA, in good old Belgrade, Montana. I suppose about now they have had some snow and getting ready for the ski resorts to open usually by
Thanksgiving. Check it out.

I like the Optech straps. I have several, they offer a quick release choice, and how about that they are made in the USA, in good old Belgrade, Montana. I suppose about now they have had some snow and getting ready for the ski resorts to open usually by
Thanksgiving. Check it out.

I have tried Optech and they are fine. Their Comfort Model is my favorite. I don't like the quick release because I never take my strap off and it just complicates things. I usually shorten my strap(and melt the ends) so the binoculars hang well above my belt. It's quicker for birding if it is shorter. The Vero Vellini is available locally at Gander Mountain so I started buying them and I like them for their simplicity over the Optech although they are similar. The Zeiss strap is my favorite because it is very high quality and it has curvature to it which conforms to your neck and shoulders making it more comfortable.The Zeiss also has a sliding shoulder or neck part that is wider than the strap which distributes the weight of the binoculars better. It makes quite a difference. I don't know where you buy the Zeiss strap but my Zeiss 8x32 FL of course has one and I really like it.

Here's more:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=60670&highlight=binocular+straps

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=88218&highlight=binocular+straps

FWIW, I have a Bushnell neoprene strap that came with a pair of Discoverers on my Leica 7x42 Uvids. I find it more comfortable than the Leica strap and Op/Techs that I have used. It still sucks on a warm day however. On my lighter 8x32 Trinovids, I use a modified version of the stock strap with quick releases added. Very light and unobtrusive, and less clammy in hot weather.

It really depends on what you want to carry, how long, in what weather, and so on. For heavy bins many prefer a bino harness, though I don't. I carried 10x42 Trins in my hand for most of 12 years as I couldn't stand having the thing around my neck.

Last edited:
I think the weight of the bin is the deciding factor. I just got the Zeiss 8x32 FL which came with, what is for me, an over-the-top neoprene strap. I mean the bin is sub-20oz. and the strap would be great for a 30oz. bin. It must eat up an oz. of weight savings all by itself. And I was out last week on a nice fall day in the fifties and sweat was a problem. For the little Zeiss, I'd be happy with a straight nylon strap no more than 3/4" wide. I might just contact Pentax and order the one that came with my Pentax 8x32 ED. Ditto the case, which is much less bulky than the Zeiss case, and is "eveready," just slip it off and go.

I know Dennis has a totally different take on this--so the lesson is it's simply up to the individual. I prefer things light and simple. I like to put the bins in an outside pocket of my field bag. For me, the less bulk and weight the better.

I think the weight of the bin is the deciding factor. I just got the Zeiss 8x32 FL which came with, what is for me, an over-the-top neoprene strap. I mean the bin is sub-20oz. and the strap would be great for a 30oz. bin. It must eat up an oz. of weight savings all by itself. And I was out last week on a nice fall day in the fifties and sweat was a problem. For the little Zeiss, I'd be happy with a straight nylon strap no more than 3/4" wide. I might just contact Pentax and order the one that came with my Pentax 8x32 ED. Ditto the case, which is much less bulky than the Zeiss case, and is "eveready," just slip it off and go.

I know Dennis has a totally different take on this--so the lesson is it's simply up to the individual. I prefer things light and simple. I like to put the bins in an outside pocket of my field bag. For me, the less bulk and weight the better.

I understand about the simple nylon strap but the Zeiss strap seems to get less sweaty than some of the neoprene straps. If you get nylon you have to make sure it's smooth enough that it doesn't abrade against your skin. It is really important that the strap is wide enough that it distributes the weight of the binoculars on your neck. I know when I am carrying the Zeiss I have to adjust the strap to make sure I get the wide section around my neck. I like to put the binocular strap INSIDE my binocular case and then carry the case with binoculars in them over my shoulder until I need the binoculars and then I put the binocular strap around my neck. So I prefer a binocular case that has enough ROOM for the binoculars AND the strap. The Zeiss 8x32 FL case works perfect in this respect because I can put the strap in it off to the side AND the binoculars in it also. For my Nikon SE's 8x32 and Nikon Monarch's 8 x42 I use the Tamrac Binocular case and it works perfect with quick access to my binoculars. The Monarch's are my knock-around binoculars and at $170.00 I don't worry about them too much. On my Monarch's I put a shortened Vero Vellini on them which is better than the factory strap. Straps are really important though and alot of the OEM straps are really not that great.

My favorite strap is the one that came with my 150th anniversary Zeiss 8x30 BGAT-P pair. It is on them. Cloth/leather, and perfct sized for them.

That said, I otherwise on other bino's use Op/tech made straps.

They work well, and are not expensive. I have found the last part important since i have found the cushion material does not hold up well over time, and is not DEET friendly.

My favorite strap is the one that came with my 150th anniversary Zeiss 8x30 BGAT-P pair. It is on them. Cloth/leather, and perfct sized for them.

That said, I otherwise on other bino's use Op/tech made straps.

They work well, and are not expensive. I have found the last part important since i have found the cushion material does not hold up well over time, and is not DEET friendly.

Eaxctly. Th Vero Vellini is about $10.00 and easily replaced when you need a new one. I believe Amazon.com has them for about that. Alot of the Zeiss binoculars come with nice OEM straps. They are one of the few manufacturers that I have seen that I actually have nice straps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back