• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The reverse porro, good alternative? (1 Viewer)

Granpoli

Spain
Hello,
I am looking for a tiny binocular, one of the so-called pocket ones, for any place and situation, I have tried some but they have not convinced me, it gets lost in my hands, it takes me a long time to find the eye-eye position, instead it fits in any pocket .. but..
I have just discovered a model called the reverse porro much more comfortable and smaller, although not for all budgets...
Can someone tell me about their experience with these models?
They really aren't talked about too much... right?
thank you so much,

To me reverse porros can provide a compact-ish, more affordable option to double hinged roofs. But they are not as compact and lack the 3D advantage of normal porros.

Which model are we talking about? There's a huge size difference between a Pentax Papilio and a Nikon Mikron 6x15. I like the 6x15 but it suffers from shakes as it's almost too lightweight to be held steady. So a 6x15 can seemingly shake worse than a 10x50. A good technique to hold it steady is needed.
So if it's just about size, a foldable pocket bino like a 7x21 Swaro Curio or a Zeiss or Leica pocket model might work out better due to better ergonomics.

Of course, for my hands a tiny 8x20 or 25 gets lost between them, I handle it worse than a Papilio 6.5x21 for example, they are more uncomfortable in my hands and on my eyes... but they are great to store anywhere, they don't take up nothing... but I've only ever looked at a reverse porro prism , the one mentioned above.

Just to show the tiny size -- here's the Papilio next to the Nikon 6x15 and a larger 6x25 super wide angle reverse porro.
img0skfcn.jpg

So for larger hands I'd probably take a look at other reverse porros. There's not that many out there however. Maybe a Vortex Vanquish? I think that one should have about the size of a Papilio.

I had a Vortex Vanquish 8x26 years ago. Foolishly sold it. Very good reverse porro. Ditto the Opticron Taiga 8x25.

If a Bushnell Elite Custom Compact 7x26 can be found used in good condition it is a wonderful bin as far as compacts go . For comfort and ease of use I got along with it better than the Leica Ultravid 8x20 . I sometimes wish I still had the Custom Compact but like all small binoculars I could not get along with it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back