• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A couple from last night (1 Viewer)

Atomic Elk

Hope this works - just got my first digital camera, and this is the first time I've done an attachment.

Anyway, ID help appreciated on a couple that came to my trap last night.

Attachments

• DSCN0223Copy2.jpg
    DSCN0223Copy2.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN0213Copy2.jpg
    DSCN0213Copy2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 128
Atomic Elk said:
Hope this works - just got my first digital camera, and this is the first time I've done an attachment.

Anyway, ID help appreciated on a couple that came to my trap last night.

Hello Atomic,
No 1 is too worn and out of focus to ID accurately, and could be one of several possible species. No. 2 is Dark Arches.

Harry

Andrew S said:
My guess is Heart and Dart for no. 1, but it's only a guess.

I think that judging by the size of the egg packing it's smaller than Heart & Dart, its more likely to be Flame Shoulder in very tatty condition.

Harry

harry eales said:
I think that judging by the size of the egg packing it's smaller than Heart & Dart, its more likely to be Flame Shoulder in very tatty condition.
Hmm. Good point Harry. Were they swans' eggs, Atomic?

Thanks guys.

Just regular egg packaging, Andrew. My sister in law lives on a farm with 3,000 free range chickens, so getting packaging isn't a problem!

Sorry the photo of no 1 isn't so good. However I had quite a number of heart and dart come in and they didn't seem to resemble photo 1. Most striking feature I thought was the patch of red around the head area.

AE

Last edited:
Atomic Elk said:
Thanks guys.

Sorry the photo of no 1 isn't so good. However I had quite a number of heart and dart come in and they didn't seem to resemble photo 1. Most striking feature I thought was the patch of red around the head area.AE

Hello Atomic,

If the patch of red your refering to is behind the head, I think you will find that it is a bald patch on the thorax where the scales/hair have been worn off. Not an uncommon feature on some species that don't settle down in a trap, or that have become worn with age.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back