• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Iguazu Falls, Argentina (1 Viewer)

mrbobvilla

Hi!

I went to Iguazu falls between 1/13/2011 and 1/14/2011 and saw a bunch of birds that I am having trouble identifying. Just as some background, I am pretty much clueless when it comes to identifying birds and just trying to learn as much as I can now.

1. This one is probably one of the easier ones, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

2. This one has been giving me a lot of trouble. You would think with such long tail feathers it would be easy but while i have seen similar looking birds identified, I haven't found an exact match yet. Some sort of Bird of Paradise?

3. A yellow bird hanging out on the side of the road

4. Blue and black bird

5. Another bird that would probably be easy to identify if I knew what I was doing. :)

6. Pretty Green Bird

Anyway, thanks for any help you can offer! If you would prefer I attach the images let me know. Most of the images are embedded with GPS coordinates if that helps at all.

Edit: I attached images 1,3,4,5, and 6 since it looks like that is what everyone else does. Image 2 was too big and I was past the 5 image limit anyway.

Attachments

• 6. Some sort of hummingbird.jpg
    6. Some sort of hummingbird.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 279
  • 5. Yellow bird.jpg
    5. Yellow bird.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 323
  • 4. Blue and Black Bird.jpg
    4. Blue and Black Bird.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 289
  • 3. Yellow bird by road.jpg
    3. Yellow bird by road.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 276
  • 1. Yellow and brown bird.jpg
    1. Yellow and brown bird.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
1- Great Kiskadee
2- Squirrel Cuckoo
3- Saffron Finch
4- Surucua Trogon
5- Social Flycatcher
6- Swallow-tailed Hummingbird

Wow dacol, thanks so much for your help!

I am really impressed you are able to identify the Great Kiskadee from that photo. I looked at the Boat billed flycatcher after your comment and I could not really tell them apart. I had to stare at the beaks for a long time before I could see a difference.

Once again, thanks a lot for your help! I really appreciate it.

I agree with Dacol except I think number 6 is a Violet-capped Woodnymph. The blue seems to be restricted to the crown and it doesn't seem long-tailed enough for Swallow-tailed Hummingbird.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back