• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with warbler ID in El Rocio, Spain (1 Viewer)

When I was there we only saw Iberian cc but I’d guess regular passes through
El Rocio isn't a million miles away from the Algarve, where common chiffchaffs are superabundant in winter, especially in the sort of Typha / reedbed habitat shown here, so I'm guessing things are similar there. Numbers seem a lot lower now as they're clearing off north, but there's still a few about. Iberian CC records are just starting to trickle into the local eBird reports. I'd agree with @Butty these all look OK for common chiffchaff.
Also agree that no. 8 looks very like a sedge warbler; these on the other hand seem to be very much a passage migrant - I was hoping to see / hear one today in fact that had been reported at Aldeia Nova, but there was no sign.

El Rocio isn't a million miles away from the Algarve, where common chiffchaffs are superabundant in winter, especially in the sort of Typha / reedbed habitat shown here, so I'm guessing things are similar there. Numbers seem a lot lower now as they're clearing off north, but there's still a few about. Iberian CC records are just starting to trickle into the local eBird reports. I'd agree with @Butty these all look OK for common chiffchaff.
Also agree that no. 8 looks very like a sedge warbler; these on the other hand seem to be very much a passage migrant - I was hoping to see / hear one today in fact that had been reported at Aldeia Nova, but there was no sign.
I've only been to el Rocio in early April but sedge warbler was very common around the lake. Like I said all the chiffchaffs I saw there were Iberian but I'd imagine the extra month makes a difference

It is certainly a Sedge Warbler.
The head pattern is far too contrasting for chiffchaff, and the nape and flanks show a distinct rufous-brown hue.
Also, the white throat is too extensive and too obvious for a chiffchaff.

Thanks for all the input! I am sure I would have been able to differentiate the Sedge Warbler by song, but as I was shooting this sequence of shots my camera made a sound that cameras have no right to make, and an error response appeared in the viewfinder "Err 20 - A mechanical malfunction has been detected". I am definitely more of a photographer than a birder (although 99.9% of my photos are of birds) so that was the end of my fun. Instead of arriving in El Rocio at 3.00 PM on Friday, my flight was delayed. Then add in the camera drama, and that turned my 5 day trip into a 3 day trip! So my 6 month old Canon R7 has been returned to the factory and my walks for the next few weeks will be for watching, not photography! Thanks again for responding, the level of expertise is impressive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back