• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with a fledgling robin? (1 Viewer)

Hi everybody. Yesterday when I was preparing to exercise in my basement, I heard chirping and went to investigate. I found what appears to be a fledgling robin in one of the fire wells. We got it out and tried to release it, but it wasn't even five minutes before we found it in another firewell. The bird doesn't look injured, and has been trying to fly out of the firewell, but it is too steep. It looks like it can't really fly well yet. It's grown enough to panic at humans, however.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I don't want to see it die, but I'm a complete newbie and I have no idea what to do at this point. :h?:

Many years ago I knew some reptile collectors that were always willing to "help" people with their small animals. My point being is if you contact a wildlife rehab center make sure they deal with small birds. Personnally, I would not bring fledging robins to anything that looks like a raptor center.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone; I've found a few wildlife rehab centers and am planning to take the bird there tomorrow morning. Right now it's in a small dog cage lined with towels, I've given it water and some chopped up cherries, so hopefully it will hold out until morning.

Does anyone have any advice or see anything wrong with my course of action so far? Please tell me right away.

Thanks again for the advice.

If it's eating and drinking, you're half-way home. Good luck with the rehabber and thanks for keeping us posted.

Is it alright if it's just nesting? It's just kind of wedging itself down in a corner of the box...the garage IS dark, so I guess it's preparing for sleep. Will that affect it feeding?

[...]The bird doesn't look injured, and has been trying to fly out of the firewell, but it is too steep. It looks like it can't really fly well yet. It's grown enough to panic at humans, however.
[...]
Can´t figure it out what you mean with "firewell". Young birds are often leaving the nest when they are not able to fly as well as their parents, that´s normal and nature! Trushes feed them about one week on the ground or low bushes.
Saving the bird from this "firewell" is all what you have to do, nothing else.

Not at all take and bring the fledgling to some rehabor! :eek!:
There is no cause to do so.

Sorry, what I mean is a fire escape. Often in suburban areas people have basement windows that lead up to the ground outside the house to use as fire escapes. More than often animals fall down this escape and can't get back up. I've been thinking of just getting covers for them, and now I think I will to prevent this happening again.

But I have good news! I was up most of the night thinking about the bird and whether I really did need to bring it to rehab like stonechat mentioned. This morning, I set it outside to have it try to eat and drink in the dog cage before I took it to the center. The bird began chirping nonstop, and I saw a robin go right up to the cage with a worm in its mouth. Obviously it was a parent, so I let the bird free, and it immediately fluttered over to its parents and they went off. They didn't go too far before beginning to forage, so I kept an eye on them all day (and on the fire wells :p) to make sure there was nothing.

I think it's safe to say that this story has ended well :) Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back